Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 4, 2011   #31
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
Ordered some seeds from them a week ago. (poppies, tomato sp.Columbianum and red brussels sprouts, var. "Red Bull") - will report more when they arrive.
Mischka, that columbianun one is an anceint name for one of the already known species. WE found that out when someone at the SSE site listed it and Suze tracked it down.

Gerhard Bohl, whose site Clara posted about a bit ago, lists many out of date names for species and that's probably their source. What I can't tell you is which species it really is.

I had looked at that Adaptive Seeds site last year and had some questions then about some of what they offer and the claims re the word "adaptive" but when I get time I'll have to go back and reread to be able to post about it.
Old March 4, 2011   #32
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I think I can save you some legwork, Carolyn. This seems to be the thread on the SSE forum where this was discussed:

http://forums.seedsavers.org/showthread.php?p=13316
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2011   #33
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
I think I can save you some legwork, Carolyn. This seems to be the thread on the SSE forum where this was discussed:

http://forums.seedsavers.org/showthread.php?p=13316
Thanks, it's as I remembered, and since I'm sure that your legs are stronger than mine, best that you did the legwork.

Just me old wee opinion here but I don't think any place should be offering something as a species that isn't one. However, many of the so called not real species ones are still available from Bohl and they sure do look like something, new, something unique, which they aren't, just improper species names.

Thanks again, and since my legs are now feeling stronger I think I'll amble-wheel out to the kitchen for a small breakfast and read the paper and then I've got so much computer work to do today it boggles my somewhat stronger brain, at least it was stronger than my legs last I knew.
Old March 4, 2011   #34
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

I ordered Katya tomato, Nutribud Broccoli, Standby Cilantro and Bunyard's Matchless Lettuce a couple of days ago and my order arrived today in a very well padded envelope.

The seeds look great and as others have said, their packaging is well done with very complete information.

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2011   #35
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

My order arrived in a padded mailer, and in perfect condition. I had a question about seed quantity (broccoli, not tomato) after receiving it and the person I spoke with on the phone was a delight to deal with and we had a very pleasant conversation.

Not only did she apologize and seed additional seeds of the shorted pack at no charge, she also included two freebies of some interesting sounding tomato varieties I haven't grown.

For me, customer service counts more than anything else and after my experience with Adaptive Seeds, I can confidently recommend them to anyone here.

Sarah, if you read these forums - thank you again. You've earned a loyal customer.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2011   #36
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

I have nothing but good to say about Adaptive Seeds....
I've ordered from them 3 times without a problem, they responded to emails quickly, they were kind, courteous and respectful......everything has been as described.

They certainly are far more respectable than the current "Seed Saver's Exchange" as far as the public catalog and the 'customer service' and such goes!!!....FAR better!!!

I never ever got the impression that the seed they sell was intended to be "adapted' to a specific area, but, as they state...."our goal is to provide you with the quality foundation material for your own locally adapted seed saving / stewardship needs"...so, obviously, what they are offering is intended to be foundation material.

Thank You Adaptive Seeds!

We need more "available' and NON-ARROGANT seed stewards like you!!!!!

~Dig
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote