Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 25, 2018   #1
e.thad
Tomatovillian™

Default Sungold Volunteers

For the past several years I've been searching for very sweet cherry tomato varieties. This season, for the first time, I had five Sungold volunteers come up. There was one that looked the same as Sungold (tasted almost the same), one that was red and the same size as Sungold, and three currant size - two orange and one red.

They were all sweeter than the other so-called sweet varieties I grew, including Snow White, Isis Candy, and the 3 Ambrosia's (although all 3 were not true to type). They were about equal to Nectar in sweetness.

Bottom line - I saved seeds and will grow a bunch out. Hopefully my search is over. So along with original Sungold, I'll have a red cherry to replace Nectar (very expensive seeds) and a currant, just for the fun of it. Btw, one of the orange currants had intense sweetness.

So I'm wondering what others' experiences with Sungold volunteers are, and am I missing something about how simple this solution is to finding sweet cherries? Anyone else doing this on their own?
e.thad is offline   Reply With Quote