Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 8, 2015   #181
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

RJGlew here I send you descriptions and pictures of those two Czech tastiest tomatoes.
Vladimír

Start F1
Proven hybrid of early indeterminante tomato. The plant is moderately vigorous. The fruit is medium-sized, with a slight hint of ribs, intensely red. Fruit weight is 75-90 g. . Still it is tastiest and best sellers Czech tomato (early ripens 10-15 days after Stupice) - evergreen tomato. Fruit with an excellent balance of flavors. For me indispensable tomatoes (more than 25 years).
Seed source: Moravoseed, SEMO, Czech republic
Year grown:2008 - 2015
History: From Czechoslovakia.

Bejbino F1
Early indeterminante cocktail tomato with regular leaves. The fruits are red, slightly larger than a cherry, round, 25-35 g, uniformly maturing even in strong sunlight, the skin a little tougher, excellent taste. It compares with the best flavors of red cherry tomatoes. This tomato is possible in a mature state stored for long periods without losing its flavor and consistency.
Seed source: SEMO, Czech republic
Year grown:2010 - 2015
History: From Czech Republic.Developed by SEMO and authorized in 2006 (in catalogue EU).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0011.JPG (41.8 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0049.JPG (28.9 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0014.JPG (43.7 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0048a.JPG (471.1 KB, 231 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2015   #182
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
RJGlew here I send you descriptions and pictures of..
Thank you for posting. These are 2 very interesting hybrids, and you confirming their tastiness provides a strong vote of confidence for me. I poked around on TomatoBase and your 2014 pictures there are also excellent - the Tasty F1 plant really looks rugged & productive. When I did a Google search on "Start F1" the results were basically limited to your input here in TV and TomatoBase. Are CZ seed companies not online?

rg
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015   #183
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

SEMO
I never noticed that SEMO company offers tomato seeds Start F1 only for home gardens (color packets - only in Czech language). This company does not state this variety of tomato in their Profi catalog
http://www.semo.cz/profien/SEMO-vege..._2015-2017.pdf
(in English)
Start F1 is not also stated in the offer for professional growers in the Czech Republic.

MORAVOSEED
http://www.moravoseed.cz/index.php?s...orie=1&druh=63

Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3218 (1).jpg (1.80 MB, 226 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; August 9, 2015 at 12:04 AM.
Old August 9, 2015   #184
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

SEMO
I never noticed that SEMO company offers tomato seeds Start F1 only for home gardens (color packets - only in Czech language). This company does not state this variety of tomato in their Profi catalog
http://www.semo.cz/profien/SEMO-vege..._2015-2017.pdf
(in English)
Start F1 is not also stated in the offer for professional growers in the Czech Republic.

MORAVOSEED
http://www.moravoseed.cz/index.php?s...orie=1&druh=63

Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3218 (1).jpg (21.6 KB, 215 views)
Old August 10, 2015   #185
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Brutus
Mid-early indeterminate variety with regular leafs. The inflorescence is composite, large number of flowers (fifteen or more), often one or two of them are megablooms.
The plant is not able to nourish all the fruit that could evolve from flowers (suffer BER) - need pruning..
The fruits, which develop from the megablooms are giant with a diameter up to 20 cm , weight more than 1 kg. Tomatoes are red with a distinctive ribbing. Strongly tomato flavor, same time sufficiently sweet, balanced taste, juicy.
Seed source: Moravoseed, Czech Republic
Year grown: 2015
History: A commercial variety from Czech Republic. Developed by Moravoseed and released in 2008 (EU catalogue).
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0109.JPG (48.8 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg Brutus.JPG (45.3 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0165.JPG (45.6 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0011a.JPG (47.9 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0092.JPG (27.5 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0094.JPG (31.1 KB, 201 views)
Old August 10, 2015   #186
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Brutus
Mid-early indeterminate variety with regular leafs. The inflorescence is composite, large number of flowers (fifteen or more), often one or two of them are megablooms.
The plant is not able to nourish all the fruit that could evolve from flowers (suffer BER) - need pruning..
The fruits, which develop from the megablooms are giant with a diameter up to 20 cm , weight more than 1 kg. Tomatoes are red with a distinctive ribbing. Strongly tomato flavor, same time sufficiently sweet, balanced taste, juicy.
Seed source: Moravoseed, Czech Republic
Year grown: 2015
History: A commercial variety from Czech Republic. Developed by Moravoseed and released in 2008 (EU catalogue).
Vladimír
And Brutus is out for seed production this summer, fingers crossed. It was supposed to be done last summer but it wasn't, and my info says it can get up to at least 500 gms for a single fruit, and that's quite BIG/

Carolyn
Old August 10, 2015   #187
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=carolyn137;497981]And Brutus is out for seed production this summer, fingers crossed. It was supposed to be done last summer but it wasn't, and my info says it can get up to at least 500 gms for a single fruit and usually more than that, and that's quite BIG/ I see you said up to 1 kg, which is 1000 gms.

Carolyn
Old August 10, 2015   #188
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I weighed both tomatoes. I did not write exact weight, but sliced it weighed about 800 g, the second about 1,050 g . I've only tasted it and daughter took them home on a salad this morning.
Vladimír
Old August 22, 2015   #189
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Bajaja
Very early balcony tomato with pendant growth, fruits are very small round, weight 8 – 10 g, one plant produces 650 – 750 fruits, fruits are firm, do not crack or fall down, resistant to TMV, F0,1 and V, Moravoseed
This tomato mention only for information. I do not grow tomatoes balcony.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0106.JPG (142.3 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0107a.JPG (121.8 KB, 184 views)
Old August 23, 2015   #190
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

That is a really impressive bushy little tomato plant! I would love to grow that in a hanging pot from my deck overhang.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2015   #191
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

This year I grew nine Czech determinate varieties.
Czech´s bush
Hana
Jitka
Odeon
Olomovic
Roubíčkovo pupíkaté
Šejk
Terion
Titan
In the picture, there are along with San Marzano nano, Rio Grande, Napoli and New Pridnestrovja (Russian) ready for tasting. I will present these Czech varieties gradually.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0148.JPG (110.1 KB, 150 views)
Old September 1, 2015   #192
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
That is a really impressive bushy little tomato plant! I would love to grow that in a hanging pot from my deck overhang.

This plant is grown in a large container of about 10 gal and much fertilized. This is the information I got from Moravoseed. Seeds are commonly available.
Vladimír
Old September 1, 2015   #193
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Odeon, Terion, Titan (commercial varieties)
These varieties are mainly intended for the canning process. They have a high content of pulp (90%). They are suitable for drying also .
The taste of these tomatoes is faintly tomato, uninteresting. I do not make tomato purees and I also do not dry tomatoes. I will not cultivate these and similar varieties never.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Odeon1.JPG (53.9 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Odeon.JPG (29.1 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Terion1.JPG (59.9 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Terion.JPG (33.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Titan1.JPG (60.3 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Titan.JPG (27.4 KB, 138 views)
Old September 3, 2015   #194
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Czech´s Bush
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Czech%27s_Bush
Historic letter
The following is from Forest Shomer, of Port Townsend:
I'm always tickled to see how you laud the Stupice tomato! I certainly feel the same way. FYI, here is the letter from Milan Sodomka, originator of Stupice, which contained a small amount of each of his various tomato lines. This was in response to Rodale's first review of Abundant Life (which I originated) as well as Johnny's and three other start-ups.
"Prague, 24/3 1976
"Dear Sir:
"I am a permanent reader of 'The Organic Gardening and Farming' and the January issue I have read a very interesting article: 'Special seeds for special needs' and your successful undertaking. I beg to ask you for your catalog and some trial seeds esp. of your tomatoes, onions, lettuce, Marigold and Verbena for now. In the contrary I am enclosing four varieties of our Czechoslovak tomatoes and two East German bush varieties which proved here very well. And one Bulgarian variety too.
"I am 70 and in spite of this I am most happy when I can try something new in my garden.
"Please to write me if you have some wish I could accomplish.
"I thank you in advance!
"Very sincerely yours,
"Milan Sodomka"
These are the four varieties of Czechoslovakia:
Stupice…………….Stupické polní rané
Olomovic………….Olomoucké nízké
Urbicany…………..Vrbičanské nízké
Czech´s bush………Imun
Imun, variety released in 1941, created a selection of the world's varieties of the same name. Czech's Bush - plants and fruits correspond to this variety (Imun). Only these six varieties was in Czechoslovak assortment of accepted varieties (commercial) in year 1974:
Sláva Porýní, Stupické polní rané, Stupické skleníkové, Olomoucké nízké, Vrbičanské nízké, Imun.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Czech´s bush1.JPG (60.5 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg Czech´s bush.JPG (29.0 KB, 126 views)
Old September 3, 2015   #195
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Odeon, Terion, Titan (commercial varieties)
These varieties are mainly intended for the canning process. They have a high content of pulp (90%). They are suitable for drying also .
The taste of these tomatoes is faintly tomato, uninteresting. I do not make tomato purees and I also do not dry tomatoes. I will not cultivate these and similar varieties never.
Vladimír
Hello Czech

Nice project and pictures, your Terion look just like my Hawaii Hawaiian Komohana Cherry. They out out produced every tomato plant this year, event in the very hot dry sunny weeks.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote