Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 26, 2017   #1
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Default Whatever happened to Yellow Jazz?

I'm curious to know what happened to Yellow Jazz? Did Orange Jazz take its place?

I read that Fred was working on an improved Lithium Sunset, although the Lithium Sunset that I recently tasted was AMAZING (thanks again Marsha ) and I plan to grow it in my northern garden this summer.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2017   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
I'm curious to know what happened to Yellow Jazz? Did Orange Jazz take its place?

I read that Fred was working on an improved Lithium Sunset, although the Lithium Sunset that I recently tasted was AMAZING (thanks again Marsha ) and I plan to grow it in my northern garden this summer.

Linda
You are welcome, Linda. So much fun getting together. I can't wait to do it again.

I think Lithium Sunset was my favorite of all the OP varieties that I grew this season. Definitely coming back.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2017   #3
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Lithium Sunset looks beautiful. The taste matches the looks?

Jeff
(I received Lithium Sunset either in the MMMM or another trade.)
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2017   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Yes it does Jeff and I am always a bit wary of that. Sometimes the good looking ones don't taste so good and people don't seem to notice.

Grow it! Grow it! Grow it!

Linda
Old January 26, 2017   #5
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I think Fred gave up on it. I still have seeds for it and may grow it in the next year or so.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2017   #6
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Lithium Sunset:

Nice tomato, but not suited for farmers so gave the others the go-ahead to share the line. It is a nice tomato for gardeners, and I am not actively working on it. Fruits too variable. Production not great. Fruits soften way too fast. Those are the reasons I do not recommend it for anyone trying to get decent production and/or sell tomatoes.

I have gotten a couple of examples back from people who like it, and I may release it again at some point (on a small scale at our website).

Yellow Jazz:

An example of where we just have not been able to select a stable OP we are happy with. The flavor and other fruit qualities of Orange Jazz are so much better that we are not even working hard to select a Yellow Jazz line. We are still trialing and selecting in the "Yellow Jazz" area. We have multiple lines that we still work on that might eventually yield a Yellow Jazz that is worth releasing.

Collaborating Memberships:

This is where people get our Yellow Jazz trial lines. Eventually we may give a collaborator the go-ahead to share a Yellow Jazz. Until then, we would prefer to reserve the name for something that we release and are happy with.

Last edited by Fred Hempel; January 26, 2017 at 03:30 PM.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2017   #7
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks very much for the update Fred. I love your honesty

I hope you will soon discover a Yellow Jazz which is worthy of the name!

In the meantime, I will be growing Lithium Sunset, Sunrise BB and Maglia Rosa this year

Linda