Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 10, 2017   #16
JoParrott

mensplace, go for it- I am an 83 year old woman- i have been gardening for over 50 years and it never becomes work- it is my salvation. 2 1/2 months ago i lost my beloved husband of nearly 49 years after his 2 years of serious illness. i promised him I would keep him at home with me as long as I could care for him- the day came when I had to take him to Hospice House where he was for 5 days before he left me- I was holding his hand when he died. Since then I have spent every waking hour in my garden, as I had been during his illness. It is the only way I find peace. My heart has not yet accepted that he is gone, but my time in the garden keeps me as close to him as possible. He was not able to talk for a long time and I wish he could have told me how he felt about death- but that is something I just have to live with- we are never ready when it comes. If you have someone you love, tell them every day-it may be your last chance. Sorry fot the long post- I guess I needed to let some stress out- thanks for listening. Jo in Richland WA
Old July 10, 2017   #17
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

JO, you are a very special person with a BIG heart. I will respond more fully tomorrow, but it is late her on the east coast. I have seen and heard the words of many, many people from the youngest to the oldest as they went home. I don't believe in so much of what is offered in the name of religion, but Christian faith...true faith is TOTALLY different. Won't preach, but I have seen real miracles. Sometimes passing is the greatest gift and today dying is far more merciful than so many options. My Dad was a vegetable for two years and my brother has currently been for three years.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2017   #18
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
mensplace, go for it- I am an 83 year old woman- i have been gardening for over 50 years and it never becomes work- it is my salvation. 2 1/2 months ago i lost my beloved husband of nearly 49 years after his 2 years of serious illness. i promised him I would keep him at home with me as long as I could care for him- the day came when I had to take him to Hospice House where he was for 5 days before he left me- I was holding his hand when he died. Since then I have spent every waking hour in my garden, as I had been during his illness. It is the only way I find peace. My heart has not yet accepted that he is gone, but my time in the garden keeps me as close to him as possible. He was not able to talk for a long time and I wish he could have told me how he felt about death- but that is something I just have to live with- we are never ready when it comes. If you have someone you love, tell them every day-it may be your last chance. Sorry fot the long post- I guess I needed to let some stress out- thanks for listening. Jo in Richland WA
Oh, my heart hurts for you. I have been where you are at and even now, it's just hard.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2017   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I think one of the biggest problems with mankind today is they have lost their ability to be spiritual and dwell on consumerism with little regard for other people.
Consumerism that holds little regard for the world we live on.
Sure they may talk the talk and so on but they dont walk the walk.
In any other language we would be called parasites sucking the planet dry.
Many of us are caught up in this mess whether we like it or not just to survive.

You can follow all of the rules and still waste your life by not giving in some way or another.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2017   #20
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Gee, I hate to start the day crying because I went to Tomatoville to read the new posts. What awesome folks we have here. I will always be inspired with how you guys turn gardening into healing. Hats off to you. Thank you.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2017   #21
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I think one of the biggest problems with mankind today is they have lost their ability to be spiritual and dwell on consumerism with little regard for other people.
Consumerism that holds little regard for the world we live on.
Sure they may talk the talk and so on but they dont walk the walk.
In any other language we would be called parasites sucking the planet dry.
Many of us are caught up in this mess whether we like it or not just to survive.

You can follow all of the rules and still waste your life by not giving in some way or another.

Worth
You couldn't be more right! The ancient Greeks had many different words for love, but at the very top was that which had to do with community and sharing...taking that which you have learned and experienced and sharing in that with the community and charity...a giving of the self with others. The basic assumption, of course, is predicated upon an awareness of one's true self and soul...who YOU as an individual truly are, not based upon today's false value of doing and having, but being. After a lengthy career in corporate America and performing is every aspect of my life, i.e., delivering more it was all totally changed when everything I loved and valued disappeared overnight. Then, a long stretch serving in emergency rooms and I.C.U.s and two years totally alone forced me to discover my true self and soul. Life can be and is supposed to be very good.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote