Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old February 22, 2018   #16
bobcatgardener
Tomatovillian™

It has been awhile since I have posted here. It has been a fun ride so far with the Hydroponic HT. To this point the ride has included an add on to each side of the HT, adding more room for a trough system I wanted to try and the other addition a nursery portion.
I have also purchases a new to me HT that is 34 x 65 that I hope to have up and running for the fall! About 450 new buckets for maters and cukes.

Here is a walk through from last week.
The strawberries are doing so good that I order 100 more to build a strawberry wall.

Enjoy any advice or comments would be greatly welcomed!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AXnu1eFs6F4
bobcatgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #17
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Holy Cow!!! You have built an amazing set up!! The chocolate reeper made my eyes bug out!!!! Well done.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #18
bobcatgardener
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Black Krim. Like I said it has been a fun ride. The learning and researching has been a great part of it. Can't wait to get the new to me HT up. Then space won't be a factor on my plans!
The CR plant was picked up on a whim. Was looking for a bell pepper plant in August. That's all they had so planted it. Inwas surprised how it grew with no pruning and at 50 degree temps through most of the winter.
Old February 23, 2018   #19
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

As I tell my boys, everything evolves as we learn.......
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #20
bobcatgardener
Tomatovillian™

Man I like that quote! I will have to steal it !
Old February 25, 2018   #21
Old School
Tomatovillian™

Nice setup Looks like a lot of time and effort put into it but the payout, ah yes, the payout
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2018   #22
bobcatgardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Old School! It's been some work but it gonna get to be alot more with the new GH on the way!
Old March 2, 2018   #23
bobcatgardener
Tomatovillian™

Here's another video a little more in-depth with what's going on around the GH. There's bug damage that I have worked on to try and get rid of.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MacCUQXA9nU
Old March 2, 2018   #24
Old School
Tomatovillian™

Nice setup there bobcatgardener. I am still in the planning phase here in PA. We got a dusting of snow this morning. It was in the 60's a few days ago I hope my peach tree doesn't wake up too soon with these weird temperature swings. I grow in raised beds but enjoy learning different growing methods. Thanks for sharing
Old March 2, 2018   #25
bobcatgardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks again old school.
I lived in Ohio for 3 years right on the west Virginia border and 45 min from Pittsburgh. Was a nice area but this southern boy never got used to that weather. I was always out of wack, thinking it should be warm and was still getting snow. Or not wearing shorts for Christmas!

It was sure different for me
Old March 2, 2018   #26
Old School
Tomatovillian™

Very true. I lived down in Western North Carolina for about 6 years and lived in Central Tennessee for a bit. The Winter season was much shorter there. I remember the trees having leaves in March in NC. We barely see buds on them here in PA. I can't plant without serious frost concerns until mid May here. My potatoes, peas, and radishes will be planted in April though. I can't wait but watching your stuff avidly growing helps out quite a bit
Old March 2, 2018   #27
bobcatgardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for watching. If you have any questions please feel free to ask questions.
I do this as a journal more than a show how it's done. I don't monetize it and will never monetize it.

I am 44 with a 2 year old. If something ever happens to me he should always be able to find these videos on YouTube.

Pulse I can always go back and see what things were like the year before at a certain time. And don't have to worry about where it's stored or if the back up will still work.
Old March 14, 2018   #28
bobcatgardener
Tomatovillian™

Another update with the trough / constant flow systems. Tomatoes are doing good. Cucumbers are hurting from the recent cold weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrTG4kkRTlE
Old March 14, 2018   #29
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I have enjoyed watching your videos, I'm always up for learning new methods that others use. It's great you have the skill and tools and room to do hydroponics on your own. Wish I could stroll through your greenhouse in person, we still have snow on the ground.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018   #30
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Great looking setup ya got there!
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote