Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 19, 2015   #16
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

I agree its hard to call anything mild when it can come out hotter or milder day to day and pepper to pepper.

I grew Santa Fe Grande last year after Brokenbar raved over them and how they weren't as hot as a jalapeno. Well, in my garden grown side by side, 4 plants each, they were *mostly* much hotter (with a few exceptions). Now, they DO have excellent flavor and have earned a spot in my garden again, but I know not to EXPECT a "mild" pepper.
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #17
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Drew I like Numex 6-4 and also Joe E Parker neither is too hot. I got a few seeds of Heritage Numex 6-4 so trying that this year.

Worth......
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #18
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceloft View Post
I agree its hard to call anything mild when it can come out hotter or milder day to day and pepper to pepper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceloft View Post

I grew Santa Fe Grande last year after Brokenbar raved over them and how they weren't as hot as a jalapeno. Well, in my garden grown side by side, 4 plants each, they were *mostly* much hotter (with a few exceptions). Now, they DO have excellent flavor and have earned a spot in my garden again, but I know not to EXPECT a "mild" pepper.
I grew Santa Fe last year, it is a good pepper, I liked it too. I have to harvest yellow, my season is too short. They take forever to turn red.

Back to the subject of mild I'm curious to try Ozarowska Sweet pepper
From Europe. It's supposed to be good. I don't know much about it. But heard it does well in my environment. Grown in the UK.
Donkey Ears is supposed to produce a lot of good pepper. Also Pointy Kaibi has a different taste but good, and productive too.
Corno di Toro Rosso is supposed to be an excellent frying pepper.

Many of the Hungarian peppers are supposed to be excellent, and many I have are from Hungary commercial seed companies
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #19
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Drew I like Numex 6-4 and also Joe E Parker neither is too hot. I got a few seeds of Heritage Numex 6-4 so trying that this year.

Worth......
The Heritage 6-4 has caught my attention too. I've tried to find seeds for it locally, but so far - no luck.

My Poblanos, well hmm, they're are an experiment in the works. I saved seeds from Poblanos from the grocery store. Every seed I planted is up and looking really nice. I'm hoping for good results, but still plan on buying some transplants locally.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2015   #20
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
We have chosen to plant peppers in three different beds that are at least 100 feet apart.

Bed 1 - less than 1,000 Scoville (Cheyena Chuska, Jimmy Nordello, Sweet Red Cherry, etc.)

Bed 2 - 1,000 - 5,000 Scoville (Cherry Bomb, Pasilla Bajio, Poblano, etc.)

Bed 3 - HOT (Datil, Thai Chili, Aji Amarillo, etc.)

Hopefully this will discourage crosses between hot and sweet types. If a cross happens in bed 1 only - then it should result in a <1,000 Scoville pepper cross which would be acceptable for us next year. Same with beds 2 and 3.
Crossing can only affect the seeds in the pod and does nothing to the flavor or heat level. So that make sense to isolate the varieties, IFF you want to save seeds from them.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2015   #21
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Yes that is a good idea. So what if they cross, it might be something worthwhile, even better. i wish i had three beds to work with. My beds are used for strawberries, blueberries and raspberries.
Old February 26, 2015   #22
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
The Heritage 6-4 has caught my attention too. I've tried to find seeds for it locally, but so far - no luck.

My Poblanos, well hmm, they're are an experiment in the works. I saved seeds from Poblanos from the grocery store. Every seed I planted is up and looking really nice. I'm hoping for good results, but still plan on buying some transplants locally.
I thought about doing the same for Poblanos but since they are sold green I didn't think they would sprout.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2015   #23
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
There are only about 100 different varieties of peppers you need to grow in your garden.
The rest you can do without, there is no need in being a fanatic.

Worth
Looks like I need a bigger garden (again)!
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2015   #24
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
Roper, I am growing Rooster Spur this season. I plan to use most of them for drying and flakes or hot pepper vinegar. When I make pulled pork in the crock pot, I use a combo of vinegar and crushed red pepper. I thought if I could make serval bottles of vinegar flavored with the peppers, that would be perfect.
That sounds good. Rooster Spur has a good flavor. I liked it in my scrambled eggs
in the morning.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2015   #25
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
Last year I experimented with hots. This year it will be mostly mild peppers. I agree that it is hard to describe them but that is why they developed the Scoville units so one could give a range of heat. It is the best known solution.

I'm still evaluating peppers to see what works here, and what tastes good to me.
This year I'm looking at these and will plant most mentioned if I have room, some may have to wait till next year.

Poblano types for various uses
Tiburon hybrid 2,000 scovilles
Caballeero hybrid pepper
Ancho 211 hybrid

Paprika peppers (sweet and hot) I like making my own paprika
Feher Ozon Paprika
Cece Hungarian White Stuffing Pepper
Gabi Hungarian White Hot Pepper
Kalocsa V2 Paprika Pepper. Also one from Hungary probably the same pepper called Kalocsai. I'll grow both and see.
Paprike Hot Peppers
Sibirischer Hauspapri
Szeged Hot peppers

Italian sweet peppers for various uses
Jimmy Nardello
Corno di Toro Rosso Pepper

Hatch or New Mexico type chili's to make green chili's and green sauce, and also red sauce.

Todo Dia Mira El Sol Chili Pepper
NuMex Sandia Select
NuMex Joe E. Parker
NuMex Heritage Big Jim
Big Jim Legacy

Misc. peppers
Ozarowska Sweet pepper
Doux D' Espagne Sweet Pepper or Spanish Mammoth
Pointy Kaibi #1
Donkey Ears AKA Slonovo Uvo
Yellow Monster

For hot peppers this year only two. Carolina Reaper, the world's hottest for protective spray against squirrels, and Ministry of Agriculture Scotch Bonnet. The official Jamaican hot pepper for Jerk sauce, and any other hot uses. This is my go to hot pepper. Some will be powdered to use like Cayenne
. Ya Mon!

I gave out seeds to members at the hot pepper forum last year for Legacy and Lumbre.
One member sent me a message later in the year that they were wonderful varieties,
and he will be growing them this year also. I am growing the Legacy, but the Lumbre
will be to hot for what I like to use Big Jim types for.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2015   #26
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I'm curious about the Numex Big Jim. The Numex people have identified the flavor genes and have concentrated it's expression in their varieties. As much as five times the flavor in some cases. I want to buy more Numex types too, lot's of great peppers out there.