Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old October 16, 2014   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Peppers Mild

The name of this place is, "Peppers Hot and Sweet". (Not to be difficult) but my favorite peppers are Anaheim because they can sometimes be a little hot, but the 4 others picked from the same plant - same day are not.

The main reason why I am making this thread is because I was getting ready 10 packs of 15 seeds each of Anaheim pepper seeds for the MMMM this year. And I couldn't choose to label them as hot or sweet. I asked my wife, and she said, "Mild". Hmm, mild isn't an option for the MMMM, and even if it was, Mild doesn't seem to have an agreeable definition.

Internet agreed with my wife. Every site I looked at had them listed as, "Mild."

I noticed a few years ago, with another variety we really like to grow and eat; Serrano. While our garden grown Serrano peppers are green - they are really hot (Hotter than Jalapenos). Yet, when we let them ripen on vine turning them dark red - they take on a sweet taste with just a tiny hint of stinging heat.

Again, the red Serrano peppers, I would call that a mild taste.

Of course there are plenty of pepper varieties that fall into the sweet category like regular banana peppers. When eaten fresh off the plant, some say they have very little taste but are absolutely sweet peppers. We have found that cooking banana peppers in a soup or sautéing them in a skillet releases really nice flavors.

And hot peppers are too many to name. We grew one this year that produced plants so beautiful that I am sending in 20 packs of 15 seeds each to the MMMM as bonuses. The tabasco pepper plant is so pretty - it could easily be called an ornamental and that is why I'm donating so many seeds. I want others to see their beauty. My av is a picture of the Tabasco peppers we are still growing (October 15, 2014)

To me, Mild peppers are not sweet or hot, but kind of both. I was wondering if you guys grow or like other varieties of mild peppers that I have not mentioned? I would like to grow, taste, and experiment with other varieties. Your input will be greatly appreciated.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2014   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Jalapeños are another that aren't always hot and that could be considered "mild."

When I categorize them, however, I would still put them and the others you listed in the "hot" category because they do have heat, and people's tolerances are different. I figure it's better to disappoint the heat lover than shock someone who finds eating Jalapeños extremely painful.

If we're sending them, I'd label the Anaheims as being in the "Hot (Mild)."

If I were sending something like a Scotch Bonnet, I would label it "Super Hot" -- still in the hot category, but warning recipients (and Gary who will be handling the seeds) that it's really hot.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2014   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

(I'd label the Anaheims as being in the "Hot (Mild).")

I agree. It's better to be safe than sorry. Thanks
Old October 16, 2014   #4
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I am one of those people that is constantly annoyed by hot peppers. Because they are inconsistent from day to day and from plant to plant. I used to grow and enjoy Poblanos because they were flavorful without burning. That's what I'm looking for in a hot pepper, but it doesn't seem possible to achieve in the real world, only in my imagination. I stopped growing any hot peppers after getting torched one time too many. I still use jalapeños in cooking, but I grind them up into a sauce first, and then add the sauce to taste. No surprises that way. To me there are only sweet peppers or hot peppers. There is no middle ground.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2014   #5
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I love Jalapeno's and Serrano's when they are red. Thai peppers are nice also. I
grew one called Rooster Spur last year. A few others that come to mind are
Shi★★★★o, Padron, Fresno, Czechoslovakian Black, Santa Fe Grande.

Looks like the forum puts stars where bad words would be. Let me try this way..Shi sh ito pepper.

Last edited by roper2008; October 16, 2014 at 05:51 PM.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Mild is a relative term. Mild relative to WHAT ?

To me Anaheim, Jalapeno, Hungarian Hot wax , Poblano, Cubanelle .. are mild.
Anything with heat scale of under 1000 is normally considered "MILD".
Growing conditions can influence the heat level too. Hot weather, lots of direct sun
can make more heat.
If you cannot tolerate heat is Anaheim, Jalapeno, Just remove the placenta. The rest will be just like sweet pepper.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #7
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Heat in some peppers can be variable like integrity in some groups of people such as politicians, doctors, ceos and lawyers; and then there is the rest of humanity. Present company excepted of course.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #8
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Roper, I am growing Rooster Spur this season. I plan to use most of them for drying and flakes or hot pepper vinegar. When I make pulled pork in the crock pot, I use a combo of vinegar and crushed red pepper. I thought if I could make serval bottles of vinegar flavored with the peppers, that would be perfect.
Old February 19, 2015   #9
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

We have chosen to plant peppers in three different beds that are at least 100 feet apart.

Bed 1 - less than 1,000 Scoville (Cheyena Chuska, Jimmy Nordello, Sweet Red Cherry, etc.)

Bed 2 - 1,000 - 5,000 Scoville (Cherry Bomb, Pasilla Bajio, Poblano, etc.)

Bed 3 - HOT (Datil, Thai Chili, Aji Amarillo, etc.)

Hopefully this will discourage crosses between hot and sweet types. If a cross happens in bed 1 only - then it should result in a <1,000 Scoville pepper cross which would be acceptable for us next year. Same with beds 2 and 3.
Old February 19, 2015   #10
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Last year I experimented with hots. This year it will be mostly mild peppers. I agree that it is hard to describe them but that is why they developed the Scoville units so one could give a range of heat. It is the best known solution.

I'm still evaluating peppers to see what works here, and what tastes good to me.
This year I'm looking at these and will plant most mentioned if I have room, some may have to wait till next year.

Poblano types for various uses
Tiburon hybrid 2,000 scovilles
Caballeero hybrid pepper
Ancho 211 hybrid

Paprika peppers (sweet and hot) I like making my own paprika
Feher Ozon Paprika
Cece Hungarian White Stuffing Pepper
Gabi Hungarian White Hot Pepper
Kalocsa V2 Paprika Pepper. Also one from Hungary probably the same pepper called Kalocsai. I'll grow both and see.
Paprike Hot Peppers
Sibirischer Hauspapri
Szeged Hot peppers

Italian sweet peppers for various uses
Jimmy Nardello
Corno di Toro Rosso Pepper

Hatch or New Mexico type chili's to make green chili's and green sauce, and also red sauce.

Todo Dia Mira El Sol Chili Pepper
NuMex Sandia Select
NuMex Joe E. Parker
NuMex Heritage Big Jim
Big Jim Legacy

Misc. peppers
Ozarowska Sweet pepper
Doux D' Espagne Sweet Pepper or Spanish Mammoth
Pointy Kaibi #1
Donkey Ears AKA Slonovo Uvo
Yellow Monster

For hot peppers this year only two. Carolina Reaper, the world's hottest for protective spray against squirrels, and Ministry of Agriculture Scotch Bonnet. The official Jamaican hot pepper for Jerk sauce, and any other hot uses. This is my go to hot pepper. Some will be powdered to use like Cayenne
. Ya Mon!

Last edited by drew51; February 19, 2015 at 09:22 AM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #11
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Wow that's a great selection of peppers Drew.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #12
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I have more I would like to grow, but just do not have room. I have to cull some of the listed above too. I'm looking for a good OP poblano, here they don't grow well, so I thought I would try the hybrids. I'm growing a couple jalapeno types too, mostly hybrids except for NuMex Vaquero. This looks like a great OP jalapeno.
I'm going to keep seeds from the hybrids anyway, even if not true, I don't mind trying the parent peppers they come from.
Old February 19, 2015   #13
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing an OP Poblano this year so I'll let you know, although my climate is much more conducive to peppers than yours.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #14
drew51
Tomatovillian™

It looks like a lot of OP poblano types exist, I will try them, as you say not the best for them here. Also the Numex types here produce, but not always a lot. I'm trying to find the ones that do. Last year I grew Numex 6-4 and that did good. It's a nice pepper too. I made some red sauce and it was the best I ever made. I just planted seed today. I did have to leave a few out, oh well. I may do another round later.
Old February 19, 2015   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

There are only about 100 different varieties of peppers you need to grow in your garden.
The rest you can do without, there is no need in being a fanatic.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote