Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating tomatillos.

Old July 13, 2012   #31
mwancho
Tomatovillian™

In my pair of purples, it turned out it was all one plant spreading itself out, the other part of the pair shriveled up and died -- it had very few roots and was pretty small overall.. Maybe I won't get purples this year either...

On a good note, I saw a giant black bumblebee hanging off one of the top blossoms on my green pair of tomatillos -- they're now a bush 6' x 6' x 6'.

I took down the hummingbird feeder because it turned out to be a fast food joint for the bees -- maybe now they'll pollinate something! I've been doing their work for them on the squash..
mwancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2012   #32
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwancho View Post
I took down the hummingbird feeder because it turned out to be a fast food joint for the bees -- maybe now they'll pollinate something! I've been doing their work for them on the squash..

So true, even bees are lazy and filling up on junk food.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2012   #33
HiPoha
Tomatovillian™

Hi everybody. I'm new to growing tomatillos too. Bought a packet of Cisneros and planted them two months ago. They are growing fine in my mini greenhouse, but I don't think they would have done so well outside of it. They are very delicate and easily droop when watered on. Some are now blossoming at two feet height, and since I have several plants crammed together, I am hoping they pollinate to produce fruits.
My mini greenhouse is a half 55gal barrel with a garden wire mesh screen around it, which is then covered with a 55gal clear plastic bag. As the plant grows and needs more sun, I tear holes in the plastic a little at a time.
Another thing is that tomatillos are not known to grow where I live. They don't even sell the seeds here. I bought mines through Tradewindsfruits.com .
From Honolulu,
Hi Poha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomati71812.jpg (333.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0081.jpg (701.8 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by HiPoha; August 13, 2012 at 02:00 AM. Reason: error, add photos
HiPoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2012   #34
Lcottomsvcs
Tomatovillian™

Anybody saving seed from their tomatillos? It is time for me to be doing that. Do the seeds need fermented like tomatoes? Thanks