Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old June 4, 2015   #16
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I actually sell a few. Generally get 2 dollars a "basket". I use the blue mushroom containers to display.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2015   #17
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Safe travels Worth.
I sell lots of hot banan peppers, but this year I grew inferno hot banana. I still haven't gotten them in the garden though. I had someone order a bushel for fall. oyvey. So now I have to get them in the garden. I don't sell many hot peppers at my market, but my husband does at his market. When he sells them he marks them 3 for 1.00, I think.
I am going to have to try that Inferno. Googled it and it looked interesting. Think the site I was at said sweet but with heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
I actually sell a few. Generally get 2 dollars a "basket". I use the blue mushroom containers to display.
Nice to know that some folks do buy them. Next time I am grocery store I'll have to look at the mushroom containers for size.

I have I think 25 plants of the Sweet Banana , so I do hope I can do something with them. I didn't realize I had that many growing til I feed them last night. I do know they taste good on a pizza, but even I can't eat that much pizza.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2015   #18
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I am going to have to try that Inferno. Googled it and it looked interesting. Think the site I was at said sweet but with heat.
These aren't sweet with heat. They are hotter than hot bananas. there is a pepper called sweet heat that is about 3-4 inches long and 1" across. some a little larger, but not most. It is a bright red pepper that is sweet but has some (just a little) zing at the end.
Old June 5, 2015   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I found the seeds for hot Hungarian Wax at TGS now if I can just have a lifestyle that will allow me to start from seed again.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #20
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Safe travels Worth.
I sell lots of hot banan peppers, but this year I grew inferno hot banana. I still haven't gotten them in the garden though. I had someone order a bushel for fall. oyvey. So now I have to get them in the garden. I don't sell many hot peppers at my market, but my husband does at his market. When he sells them he marks them 3 for 1.00, I think.
Do you sell them green? Or ripe?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #21
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I pick them as soon as they are at least 6" long. always at the yellow stage, I don't have time to wait on them to ripen to red, my markets are over and no one wants them that late, either.
Old June 13, 2015   #22
Cville
Tomatovillian™

Right now we sell them at 4 for a dollar, but soon, when the plants are really producing, we sell them for $2 a quart. Here, people grill them, put them on pizza, about any way you might use a bell pepper. If your customers are new to them, and they aren't selling, give some away. You will be surprised at how customers appreciate that and will come back and buy from you, even if they didn't like the banana pepper.
Cville is offline   Reply With Quote