Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old January 6, 2012   #1
mikeinsc
Tomatovillian™

Default How many seeds or sprouts per pot?

I'm starting a greenhouse operation this year but I need to raise money first. In order to do this, I will be selling produce and seedlings roadside and at markets. I also have someone that wants to buy seedlings for her to sell at her nursery.

Some of things I will be doing are herbs in 3.5" square pots. What I can't seem to get a handle on is how many I should plant per pot. I am starting all seed in 288 cell plug sheets.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I think that the seedling sales stand to make the most money.

P.S., my garden will be close to 10,000 sq ft, out of 6 acres, and I've been in college for a degree in Horticulture for the last year and have been on the Dean's list for 2 of 3 semesters.
Old January 6, 2012   #2
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

Mike
I have grown and sold herb plants for over 20 years and sell some in 3.5 inch pots. I start my seed in plug trays and transplant but I don't go any smaller than a 128 as I don't have the time to watch over them and make sure they don't dry out. Anything that I grow as a cutting (rosemary, oregano, lemon thyme, mint, sage, et) I only use one plant, anything that is grown from seed, (Parsley, basil, dill, thyme, marjorum, chives et.), I seed multiple in each cell and transplant the whole thing.
www.duckcreekfarms.com
Old January 6, 2012   #3
mikeinsc
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the info and for giving me something new to learn about. The Smith-Lever Act and what that means for not big enough potato growers.

One other question, do you use a mechanical seeder to help dispense seed or is that not something you worry about?
Old January 6, 2012   #4
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

I just use my fingers, Mechanical seeders are a bit pricey for me to justify.