Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 12, 2006   #1
boonies
Tomatovillian™

Default Chipmunks

I'm being overrun with chipmunks. The little buggers have now decided that my tomatoes, both ripe and unripe fruit, are theirs. They've pulled off & run off with small ones, or just scampered up and taken bites out of the larger varieties. They've become so brazen that they will even climb up & over the fence while I'm in the garden.

Anyone know of any type of successful deterrent?
boonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2006   #2
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

I use dogs & Pellet guns!
Old June 16, 2006   #3
Althea
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the heads up on what to look forward to.

The chipmonks here have eaten my blueberries and have been digging little holes around plants including one of my tomatoes, nearly killing it.

I have been using Deervik around unfenced plants to keep rabbits away. I'll try it as a chipmonk deterrent and report back. A cat might be the most effective.
Old July 1, 2006   #4
bully
Tomatovillian™

This is the big boy, a rat trap!
not to be confused with its smaller cousin, the mouse trap.

bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2006   #5
matermama
Tomatovillian™

Default oh my

Oh bully
those traps are huge , i have seen them. I was trapping mice iwth the smaller ones . IT is a sad sight to see them in the traps, i could barely look
but it is either them or me, i choose me. sorry little mice
sue
matermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2006   #6
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

I use electronic zapper. I don't have chipmunks anymore.

BTW, Chipmunks make very good fertilizer.

dcaqrch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2006   #7
landarc
Tomatovillian™

chipmunks with a pellet gun? I am impressed

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2006   #8
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

I don't want to seem cruel & heartless - I have 10 or so birdfeeders that I fill every other day, a fish pond, dogs, a salt water aquarium ... I am constantly rescuing baby toads and dragonflies and frogs from the swimming pool ...

I hate killing anything. But chipmunks anywhere near a 120 yr old farmhouse are bad news - they find their way into the walls, insulation, chew on wiring, stash the birdseed everywhere, etc. etc...

So, I have a pellet gun that looks like a small rifle! If the dog doesn't take care of them, I remove the screen from my kitchen window & my bedroom window on the second floor. When I spot the chipmunk happily munching the black oil sunflower seed at the feeder, hanging from the Pear Tree outside the kitchen window, I grab the pellet gun from the closet, quietly sneak to the window that gives me the best vantage point, and, well ... that poor chipmunk is history

I have another story where I had to take out a rooster from about 300 feet (he would attack the hens, AND the kids!) - but that was with a .22, not a pellet gun!

And then there's another story when a had the "rifle"/pellet gun, & I was tip-toeing under the Scotch Pines at the side of the property which are near the road, looking up, trying to track a black squirrel (worse than a chipmunk) through the tree branches, as it jumped from tree to tree to tree,with me looking much like a female Elmer Fudd (in actions, not physically!!!), when my distant neighbour, affectionately known as "Hillbilly Mike" drove by in his dilapidated car, took both hands off the steering wheel, raised them in the air, and yelled "Don't shoot! Don't shoot!", as he drove by! (He was kidding!!!!! Honest!! :wink: )
Old July 10, 2006   #9
matermama
Tomatovillian™

Default CHipmunks funny

That is a great story, i tried to visualize the whole thing.HEHEHEHEHHHEHE.
My parents live in CA and are true animal lovers ,they just don't get sometimes you have to do it. If i ever get me a stuffed raccon my mom will makes me put it away when she comes to visit. LOL she said to me once.
hmmm not a bad idea , things that keep moms away :wink:
sue
matermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2006   #10
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Kim,

Hilarious! I too have interesting pics in my mind. :wink: Sounds like your hillybilly neighbor has a great sense of humor.