Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 24, 2006   #1
Laurel7286
Tomatovillian™

Default early blight I think

Wow, is this ever running through all my tomatoes. I'm pretty sure I've identified it correctly--starts at the bottom and works its way up the plant. Leaves only begin with tiny brown spots, then rapidly the entire stem yellows & dies. This is not affecting the existing fruit directly, but of course is lowering the yield.

Hard to tell about new fruit as this heat spell has caused blossom drop. Plants are in raised beds with soaker hose under red plastic mulch. Some varieties are still vigorous--the Black Cherry is over 6'. Some are pretty sad--the Lemon Boy looks like it would rather just die and get it over with.

I have stripped all the diseased leaves (talk about naked!) and have sprayed with baking soda (cornell fml) which seemed to slow it down some but not much.

The harvestable fruit are delicious, but I'd really like to save these plants for the rest of the season. Grateful for any help,
Laurel
Laurel7286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2006   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Well, I'll offer my standard advice. The best cure for fungal disease is prevention. Once your plants become infected, you'll more likely than not be playing catch up.

Sorry, but the baking soda formula is just not that effective for fungal foliage diseases of tomatoes.

Daconil used once a week works quite well in prevention, and can help somewhat in treatment.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote