Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 3, 2006   #1
PeteD
Tomatovillian™

Default Please Help - Strange Tops, What's Wrong? (pics)

I am at a loss and fear my plants are doomed. But, I can take the bad news - I just want to know what is going on.

Quick summary of possibly pertinent info:
Raised beds (12 inches deep) in northeastern MA. Very rainy June, but plants are 2 to 2.5 feet tall (planted deep). Planted in 40% compost from local aggy supply, 30% peat, 30% vermiculite. Plants grew great for the first 3 weeks, until a few days to a week ago. Plants grown from seed from TGS and planted outdoors on June 4. No I have very strange leaf stem curl on newer leaves, with some light green tone to new leaves, as well.

The plants are mulched with shredded oak leaves and soaker hoses are present, but I have only watered a couple of times, since the soil has stayed most. I have sprayed daconil a couple of times and used copper sulfate powder once. I also sprayed neem a couple of weeks ago. I also fertilized with 1/2 strength miracle grow 1 to 2 weeks after planting. The only pests that I have observed are flea beetles and a very few aphids. Within the past few days to a week, I noticed the curly leaf stems on a Paul Robeson. I noticed it on most of the other tomatoes over the following couple of days. A few plants look OK still. I have no idea what this is, and I have checked many of the problem solvers. I haven't seen anything that looks like my situation (to me). There is some leaf and stem deformity and apparent stunted growth on the Brandywines, in particular. The leaves appear to still be growing out, however.

See pics below:

Brandywine:

Early Girl:

Black Cherry:

Same Black Cherry

Brandywine:

Thanks in advance for any help with my problem.

Pete
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2006   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Pete,
I don't think your plants look all that bad, especially considering the excessive rains your part of the country has been getting. What I am able to make out from the pictures looks to be some leaf curl which is probably due to excessively wet conditions. Also, maybe a touch of chlorosis in that first pic, which again would probably be due to the rains.

However, is there something else you're seeing closeup that doesn't jibe with that explanation? If so, see if you can get a tighter shot.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2006   #3
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

I can't say for sure what this is, but I do question the soil mix in the raised beds - because there is none! I made the mistake one year of using a high ratio of compost in pots - I think there is an imbalance with using only compost, peat, & vermiculite (which is essentially inert - it just promotes drainage & aeration, & you already have the drainage with the raised beds).
Old July 4, 2006   #4
nancysil
Tomatovillian™

Your plants look nice and healthy to me. The new leaves appear to be formed normally - not twisted tightly or spikey and contorted.
nancysil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2006   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Me too!!!
Thems growin tops.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2006   #6
PeteD
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the responses.

I will try to post some additional pictures when I can for further and hopefully a closer evaluation.

The "soil" mix is basically Mel's mix from square foot gardening, with the proportions slightly off.

I agree that the plants do not look too bad. It just seems like the signal of an impending problem. I do have some leaf deformities on some of the plants and the leaf branches seem to be forming a corkscrew in some cases - see the 3rd and 4th leaves from the top of the black cherry rather the the two newest.

Because this tops did not look like this a week ago, I figured something may be wrong. Also, it has been mostly sunny for the past week. This is my first time growing tomatoes in many years and my plants are more vigorous and different types than I am used to. I seem to remember the leaf and branch shape on a given tomato as more consistent.

I think the Brandywine may be experiencing early blight. Upon further examination, I found some darkened splotches on a couple of leaf stems near the bottom of the plant, in addition to the chlorosis at the top. The lower leafs are all green and not blotchy, however.
Old July 7, 2006   #7
PeteD
Tomatovillian™

Just an update, I have become convinced that you were all correct. The strange (to me) tops are continuing to unfurl and form normal looking branches.

Thanks again for your sage advice.
Old July 7, 2006   #8
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Great news! Glad to hear things are turning out right.

Lee
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote