Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old May 17, 2016   #61
salix
Tomatovillian™

Hi all - Jeannine Anne, I have a large clump of Egyptian Walking Onion. As a matter of fact, I potted up 2 flats of the fallen bulbils for our upcoming plant sale. If you like, I could pack up a few plants for you or wait until fall and could send you some of the bulbils. Also, just to let you know, my patch of Shandong onions overwintered very nicely, without the benefit of extra mulch and I could certainly send you seed for them (or dig up a plant...) also have a few potato onions (not sure of name offhand, got the original seed from Denise S. 2 years ago) that survive our winters. I also have a clump of some unnamed onion which will not die, it comes up every year and is a great source of early spring green onions (mid March this year) and it has countless seedlings around it. Just say the word, can send plants soon, or seed and bulbils later. Would love to help get you going again, allium-wise. It would be much easier and quicker to get the EWO's from here in B.C., rather than from eastern U.S. with border-crossing issues. Such an outpouring of help from Zeedman, Zach and others - I love Tomatoville!
Old May 17, 2016   #62
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Salix that is wonderful, I would like you take you up on it that is very kind of you, the plants would be great I maybe able to get them good and strong before the winter but whatever you think is best. I have made a swap with one person and I think things are already on the go, but it is for one named variety so whatever you can spare I will have please. Of course I will reimburse postage and the plant sale. My address has changed since we last swapped.I will send you the new one. You were around when I put together my last perennial spot so you know how excited I was. I have a couple of Chow Daubenton perennial cabbage plants I can ship to you, actually I could let you have 4. The Nine Star perennial cauliflowermay be available a little later as I just finally found some seeds. I got one plant only from my last few seeds. I am sowing them tomorrow, the seeds are a little old but my friend who sent them got decent germination so I will sow an extra couple for you.

Thank you again..Are you still growing the Rose de Roscoff.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2016   #63
salix
Tomatovillian™

Alas, the Rose de Roscoff will not overwinter here - in fact it is not a happy camper at all. It did produce small tasty bulbs, but never seemed to thrive like all the others. Will send you a p.m. regarding the onion plants.
Old May 31, 2016   #64
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Thank you thank you thank you. I have a lovely box of McCullars that arrived to day ,thanks to a kind soul and a lovely swap, I shall have great fun planting them tomorrow the bed is already. Strike 1 done McCullars are here.

Bless your heart for sending them, it is very much appreciated

I feel I am gaining ground a bit now, the perennial greenery is growing and some onions are going in the ground tomorrow. I hate losing things but it very exhilarating to find them again.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote