Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 27, 2016   #1
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Default Fungal sprays, before or after rain?

Daconil, excel lg, copper soap, actinovate.

Whats better, apply before or after rain?
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
Daconil, excel lg, copper soap, actinovate.

Whats better, apply before or after rain?
Bottle directions say after.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #3
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Duh. Thanks Marsha. Should have read that first, label is kind of like an eye test tho.
Old June 28, 2016   #4
per2012
Tomatovillian™

My bottle directions for Daconil Fungicide Concentrate does not answer this question. It only mentions "rain-proof protection". Customer service ((866)-945-5033) informed me that Daconil dries and bonds to plant surfaces in approximately 2 hours. Rain will not wash it off once it dries. If sprayed and allowed to dry, it is best to apply prior to rain to prevent spores from attaching to treated surfaces.
per2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
Duh. Thanks Marsha. Should have read that first, label is kind of like an eye test tho.
Too true! I can't see anything anymore without my glasses.

I only use copper, not daconil, sorry I couldn't answer for that.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #6
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by per2012 View Post
My bottle directions for Daconil Fungicide Concentrate does not answer this question. It only mentions "rain-proof protection". Customer service ((866)-945-5033) informed me that Daconil dries and bonds to plant surfaces in approximately 2 hours. Rain will not wash it off once it dries. If sprayed and allowed to dry, it is best to apply prior to rain to prevent spores from attaching to treated surfaces.
Thx per2012, Marsha

Sounds like Daconil before, copper after.
Old June 28, 2016   #7
pixlpush
Tomatovillian™

On a related topic has anyone used serenade? I've been having good luck with it controlling grey leaf mold. Don't really get any rain here in SoCal during the growing season. It's organic as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (107.6 KB, 89 views)
pixlpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #8
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I tried serenade for 2-3 years and did not find it to be helpful in Texas. We tend to have conditions that are conducive to disease though, especially in the Spring.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Might as well be spraying water here in Alabama. I used quite a bit of it and it almost seemed the diseases got worse the more I used it and the cost was a bit high. I think the disease pressure is just too great down here for it to be effective. If Gray Mold gets started on a plant down here in the summer you better stop it fast or say good bye to the plant shortly.

Daconil doesn't seem to stay on my plants during a good heavy rain. I think copper stays on a bit better from what I can tell but neither will give you much protection during long rainy spells. They both seem to stay on okay during light showers if they don't go on for too long. I like using the diluted bleach spray during really rainy times and follow with alternating treatments of copper and Daconil about a week apart during the summer when disease pressure is greatest.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #10
pixlpush
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tip Bill. I think I caught my Gray Mold early enough for once but There's still a couple of plants that have a few leaves showing signs of it. I'm going to try your diluted bleach spray on those and see if that stops it. I found your post from 2013 with all the details.
Old July 2, 2016   #11
pixlpush
Tomatovillian™

Well three days after spraying Bill's diluted bleach solution I've discovered I had more grey leaf mold than I thought on one plant. Most of the others weren't too bad. Thanks again Bill bleach will now have permanent place in my garden arsenal. Time to cut off the dead bits and spray some copper on there. Guessing this is a game I'll be playing for the rest of the season.

Here's a link to Bill's old post about Bleach so you don't have to dig for it if you're interested:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=28509