Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 13, 2017   #16
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

SOW SEEDS 6 WEEKS BEFORE YOU CAN ACTUALLY PLANT OUT.

This is the widely recommended practice for tomatoes. Give or take one week ( 5 to 7 weeks )

For peppers ( especially hot/superhot ) add 2 weeks ( 7 to 9 weeks ).

What will happen if you start early?
You will need more floor space under light and have to repot to quart size pots or bigger. If you can afford to do this you will have a head start. After all, starting/growing under light is to serve this purpose.

What will happen if you start late ?
You will just have smaller transplants ( 4 to 6"). They will go into sexual phase ( flowering/fruiting ) a while later. In hot climate with long growing season this should be fine.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #17
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoJoe View Post
Cucuzza (like a Sicilian) is a bit funny. It's slow to start but when it takes off... Mamma Mia! It goes. You need staggered starts to time it right. My best vine last year grew more than a foot a day and probably 50 fruit.. some topping 9'. This is my record year(I hope)

I wish I had room for more zucchini varieties! My garden space is extremely limited once I allow room for all the garlic, tomatoes and peppers. The only two varieties I grow are Striata D'Italia and a hybrid -- Green Tiger. They are both "bush" varieties which can be grown in a much smaller space than a vining variety. Same with cucumbers -- Bush Champion, with minimal vining.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #18
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

You can grow cukes in hanging baskets,I did that last year 2 plants per 5gal container.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #19
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

My garden is in the high country of the NC Mts. Zone 6. Last year I started my tomatoes on March 21 and planted out on May 18. Folks there told me as I was planting a week too soon as many plant Memorial Day weekend. I did not have any issues planting when I did but I do plan to start my tomatoes early next week and I will also monitor the ten day forecast in May before plant out...

I would err on the side of caution. Delaying a few days should not matter too much in the long run.
BTW, the climate in my area is comparable to upper NY state, southern Canada according to the local Ag. agent...
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #20
encore
Tomatovillian™

was going to start seeds on the 27th of march, but will be out of town, so starting them the 3rd of april.
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #21
TorontoJoe
Tomatovillian™

I think managing overnight temps early on is what's going to be most challenging... We still have some freezing weather ahead.... I was going to heat the mini greenhouse with a light bulb but I may need to invest in something a bit more substantial...

Toronto - Zone 6

Growing: Tomatoes, Cucuzzi, Figs, Peppers, Lemon, Olive

Seeking: Worlds most delicious tomato
TorontoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017   #22
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

My last frost date is May 15th. I don't start my tomatoes until the end of March. The 27th is what works for me after years of practice. Any earlier and they are burning their heads on my grow lights or I have to plant them out in Wall O Waters.
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote