Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 12, 2007   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Jack Cider (Golden Brandywine)

Can anybody tell me about this variety. Only info I could find on the web was a site in the U.K. where I purchased the seeds and another in New Zealand also a seed vendor. Thanks, Ami
Old April 12, 2007   #2
moulman
Tomatovillian™

Yikes!

Not another so-called Brandywine.......sheesh....
Old April 12, 2007   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Sounds like someone renamed Summer Cider...and Summer Cider appears to be suspiciously similar to Yellow Brandywine!
Old April 12, 2007   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Ami, I know exactly what you're talking about as in Golden Brandywine, also seen in England and elsewhere over there as Apricot Brandywine, and from those folks who have grown both of them my memory says that what you've got is creative naming and it's just plain ole Yellow Brandywine, best I know.

I've been sitting here trying to remember the name of the UK firm where I first saw the Apricot one listed but just can't remember.
Old April 12, 2007   #5
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn.. I have seen BOTH on Ebay - and have found myself disgusted each time.

.... and here's another one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rose-Brandywine-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old April 12, 2007   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Eric, I absolutely refuse to even click on anything that takes me to e-bay.

As we all know, from some long forgotten radio/TV show, the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

isn't that how it goes?

I absolutely hate this renaming and changing of names so that it looks like there's a new variety out there and it's happening more and more. And quite frankly, CA leads the way in this regard along with several European sites as well as a few US sites whose names I won't mention.
Old April 12, 2007   #7
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

It is a popular plant in the UK, and is sold mainly by (www.plantsofdistinction.co.uk and gives a little info about its history, and if I remember rightly it is not derived fom a brandywine type even though it is billed as a brandywine shape and originated somewhere in the region of sweden or skandinavia or belgium .

This firm is a very good supplier and I have dealt with them on many occassions.
They dont send out any seed each year before about the second week in january each new season. average turn around- about ten to fifteen days. all posted in bubble pack envelopes.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2007   #8
tomatoaddict

I am just wondering if it was every clarified that this is a re-named variety. I also detest re-naming. I received seed for Brandywine apricot and it sounds like this thread is talking about one and the same. If it is the same as yellow Brandywine I just want it correct in my records. Don't want to have it listed as a different variety.
Old October 31, 2007   #9
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoaddict View Post
I am just wondering if it was every clarified that this is a re-named variety. I also detest re-naming. I received seed for Brandywine apricot and it sounds like this thread is talking about one and the same. If it is the same as yellow Brandywine I just want it correct in my records. Don't want to have it listed as a different variety.
Terry - Summer Cider does not seem to be the same for me as Yellow Brandywine. More productive, different flavor profile, more uniform fruits. I like it, and think it has good to very good flavor, but it's no YB for taste, IMO.

I don't know what to tell you about Brandywine Apricot, now, that might be a renaming (of something). Haven't grown it, and have no plans to do so.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2007   #10
tomatoaddict

well, the one I have isn't summer cider I don't think. It is labeled Apricot Brandywine. That is not the same as Summer Cider is it?
I am getting so confused.
Old October 31, 2007   #11
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoaddict View Post
well, the one I have isn't summer cider I don't think. It is labeled Apricot Brandywine. That is not the same as Summer Cider is it?
I am getting so confused.
I get the impression that Apricot Brandywine is either a renaming of Summer Cider (my guess is this one, given the European connection some have referenced earlier in the thread), or possibly Yellow Brandywine.

The reason I say that is Summer Cider was supposedly bred over in Europe. Further complicating the situation is SC *might* possibly be the same or similar to a Tom Wagner variety. The name of Tom's variety escapes me at the moment, will post back if I recall the name.

Edited to add - Apple Butter or Panorama Sunset were the ones I was thinking of. I think Tom plans to grow SC next year for comparison purposes.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2007   #12
tomatoaddict

This is the part of heirlooms that I hate. The confusion that exists sometimes on a variety. I know it cannot be escaped but I try very hard to keep the integrity of a variety in my records so that I do not become an un-willing participant in falsehoods. I clicked on the link that Michael had for the vendor in the U.K. and I don't know what they had listed before but now they only have one for Yellow Brandywine.
Old November 1, 2007   #13
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

All I know is Summer Cider is my favorite yellow beefsteak.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2007   #14
peispud
Tomatovillian™

tomatoaddict if you got Apricot Brandywine from me or from someone I gave it to, it is Apricot Brandywine. O/S from Unwins in U.K. seed I bought back in 2004.
It doesn't matter how many old american women swear it's renamed yellow brandywine, it isn't. It is APRICOT in color not gold, yellow or golden. Great unique taste and great production.

peispud
peispud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2007   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

It doesn't matter how many old american women swear it's renamed yellow brandywine, it isn't. It is APRICOT in color not gold, yellow or golden. Great unique taste and great production.

Yes, I'm old.

Yes, I'm American.

Yes, I'm a woman.

No, I don't especially like being characterized in this manner.

And it isn't just me who feels that Apricot Brandywine is aka Yellow Brandywine based on some growing it, I haven't, and also based on looking at pictures.

To each their own, as is oft said.

It might be useful for someone to contact Unwins and ask about the specifics of the genetic background of Apricot Brandywine to the extent that they would divulge that. I also find it interesting that while this variety has been available for at least for 5 years, well I remember the discussions when it first appeared at Unwins, there has not, to my memory, been an SSE listing for it to date.