Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MidWest Tomato Fest™ event information and discussion forum.

Old January 9, 2008   #16
kktwahoo
Tomatovillian™

Denise,

Okay, will mark those three dates, and see what our predictably unpredictable weather does!

I am not surprised about the nasty aftertaste - think of what they had to do to get them put up!

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." From In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan
Old January 31, 2008   #17
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Just noticed the thread today; I vote for 10 or 17. My tomatoes seem to pause about mid-August and wait for the heat to subside. My grow list this year will be heavy into blacks and hearts and I don't know fruiting patterns yet so whenever we have it is OK with me. The tomatoes are secondary to meeting up with friends. (Is that blasphemy?)
Old March 9, 2008   #18
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

I will definitely be there this year. I had a little too much on my plate in 2007 to attend as I had hoped, with the move, new job and house/family issues. I have been out of the loop for a while as far as new and exciting varieties but hopefully I'll have some of my favorites. Will bring DH and possibly my youngest DS although he is 17 and may or may not find having bamboo shoots driven under his nails equal to coming with us, LOL. He's generally a good sort so it will depend on his mood. What other types of foods do y'all bring? Pot luck?
Old March 9, 2008   #19
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

It will be nice to finally have you join the fun. Yes, pot luck is the general rule. Mostly light fare with snacks the most popular. Piegirl makes a scone that is outstanding, we usually have chips and salsa, veggies and we usually bring BBQ beef for sandwiches. Anything will do, or nothing. We are quite informal and fairly small in numbers, but still have a pretty good time.

Any tomatoes are welcome as well as any kids you can drag along. More details as we get things together.
Old July 9, 2008   #20
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

The date is set for the Midwest Tomato Fest - August 17 - from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. or we get tired of talking tomatoes which would probably be never! We have a new location: a picnic shelter at the north end of the Lincoln Children's Zoo parking lot - roughly 27th & B Streets - entrance is on the east side of 27th Street. Go to the NORTH end of the parking lot and you will see a double picnic shelter. We hope to see you on the 17th. Bring your tomatoes, a palate cleanser, a lawn chair, and join the fun. In the Lincoln/Southeast Nebraska area tomatoes are looking pretty good. The city has just renovated a large public garden and is putting the finishing touches on a new rose garden. Just across the street is our shining jewel - Sunken Gardens - a wonderful public flower display. And of course there is the Children's Zoo. Hope to see a lot from Nebraska, Iowa, and Kansas! Piegirl