Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old February 8, 2006   #1
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Default Eggplant Burgers

Has anyone tried eggplant "burgers"? When I was in college, there was an on campus cafe that served these wonderful sandwiches. I remember that the eggplant was cut thick and never mushy.

I have eaten them a couple of different ways. The cafe served the "burger" grilled or breaded, with cheese, tomatoes, mayo, onions, mustard and all of the other hamburger fixings. Sometimes, they would serve a specialty "burger" with chipotle mayonaise, ortega style chiles and pepper jack cheese. Most importantly, the hamburger buns were always buttered and grilled. I am definitely going to try to make these at home this season.
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2006   #2
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Never heard of such a thing. But it sure sounds good. Maybe now I can find a way to eat eggplant that I really like!

Give me some more details if you have them.

Don
Old February 19, 2006   #3
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi Don,

I don't remember too much more. It's been about 10 years since I went to that Cafe. I do remember that the fried version seemed to have crumbs (like fried chicken) not batter.

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2006   #4
fnsdo
Tomatovillian™

Default Here's an easy one from allrecipioes.com

More complex recipies available on epicurious and recipesource, but this
one works.
This is the veggie burger supreme - the easiest and MOST ECONOMICAL burger of all. A single medium-sized eggplant (together with the usual trimmings) feeds a family of six. Use whatever types of cheese and burger toppings to suit your family's taste."
Original recipe yield: 6 burgers.
Prep Time:7 MinutesCook Time:7 MinutesReady In:14 MinutesServings:6 (change)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INGREDIENTS:
1 eggplant, peeled and sliced into 3/4 inch rounds
1 tablespoon margarine
6 slices Monterey Jack cheese
6 hamburger buns, split
6 leaves lettuce
6 slices tomato
1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 cup dill pickle slices
1 (20 ounce) bottle ketchup
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Place the eggplant slices on a plate, and cook in the microwave for about 5 minutes, or until the centers are cooked.
Melt margarine in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry eggplant slices until lightly toasted on each side, and place one slice of cheese onto each one. Cook until cheese has melted, and remove from the skillet.
Place eggplant on hamburger buns, and allow each person to top with lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickles, and dress with ketchup, mayonnaise and mustard.
fnsdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2006   #5
Goddessemer6
Tomatovillian™

Yummy yummy in my tummy! I love eggplant, I'm hoping I have a good harvest this year. My mom makes this killer eggplant parmesian. A good tip for frying eggplant:

Salting slices of eggplants and letting the liquid drain out of them is a good way to make them less spongy, so that they absorb less oil when frying. It is also said to draw out bitterness, though personally I don’t find well-grown eggplants especially bitter tasting. I salt one side and let them rest on paper towels, salted side down, for 20 minutes or so, then do the same for the other side. After that I rinse them under the tap, removing the salt and squeezing the slices hard. Then I fry them lightly in olive oil. I find that the water they do retain makes them cook beautifully, and the oil they absorb is just a light, flavorful coating!

The beauty of being human is the ability to choose compassion over cruelty!
Goddessemer6 is offline   Reply With Quote