Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 28, 2013   #91
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I'm nervous about getting on the spray train (I could theoretically be doing laundry with that bleach, you know) but it's so annoying to have a lovely plant one day, a headless stick with two leaves left the next. Would be heartbreaking to have whatever it is spread to the apparently healthy cherries near by!

So I tried the bleach spray today, once the rain stopped. If anyone is still looking, I found the 6% strength bleach at Big Lots.

Also, I am going to have the hand strength of an Olympic gymnast if I keep using a hand sprayer!

I was thinking about going out later tonight or tomorrow morning and applying a copper-mancozeb spray. Is this the next step? It's going to be cloudy for the next few days but probably won't rain again until later in the week.

Edit... darnit. It's raining again. So will I probably need to rebleach again tomorrow? It's been about an hour since I finished spraying and it's raining what would be considered "hard" in other areas of the country.

Last edited by tlintx; July 28, 2013 at 06:51 PM.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013   #92
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

I have another question re: frequency of application. It rained last night...even though I sprayed on Friday and Saturday (and the directions on the copper fungicide say every 7 to 10 days); should I spray again due to the rain? I get the impression from this thread that people are spraying right after a rain, regardless of frequency. Is that sound advice? Thanks!
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013   #93
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Well, the seedlings under the eaves look pretty good this morning, with one severely wilting (the one I thought might have an issue). A few of the ones that got rained on are looking rough but not all, so I guess that means I'm good to go for clean up and preventative?
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013   #94
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

TNP - I don't have an answer to that, but wanted to point out that the Copper spray I have (or it could be the manzecob that I always mix with copper on the advice of growers here) says to limit the applications to 5 per season. With that in mind, I don't think you can reapply after every rain if it is rainy frequently. Perhaps you can mix in some other anti fungals? My other go to anti fungals are a mix of Excel LG and actinovate and early on before disease has a major presence, Daconil. Some use sulfur, but, I can't because use in 90 degree plus temps can burn the plants.

DM
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013   #95
kevn357
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpeppers View Post
I have another question re: frequency of application. It rained last night...even though I sprayed on Friday and Saturday (and the directions on the copper fungicide say every 7 to 10 days); should I spray again due to the rain? I get the impression from this thread that people are spraying right after a rain, regardless of frequency. Is that sound advice? Thanks!
Be careful spraying the copper more then once a week too often. That is where the bleach comes in. I use it after every rain in the evening if I can and use the copper once a week. Sorry if I read your post wrong.
kevn357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2013   #96
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Bill, spraying as much as you do, you probably experimented with many products. Have you used Roundup 2 Gal. Heavy-Duty Sprayer? What can you recommend? Second, does the bleach spray kills insects like aphids, mites and such?
Thank you.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2013   #97
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Bill, spraying as much as you do, you probably experimented with many products. Have you used Roundup 2 Gal. Heavy-Duty Sprayer? What can you recommend? Second, does the bleach spray kills insects like aphids, mites and such?
Thank you.
I have found the perfect sprayer for my needs and it is an SP Systems sprayer that has a very high pressure pump and is approved for dilute bleach solutions. I don't know if they still make this model but if they do I would order another without doubt if this one fails. I have been using it for three years now and it saves me time and is so much more thorough because of the very high pressure spray it has. It also saves me because it takes far less of the liquid to get good coverage because of the high pressure fine mist. The one I have holds 4 gallons of liquid but I rarely fill it beyond 2 1/2 gallons for spraying my whole garden.

The bleach solution is far too mild to kill any pests in my experience. I had hopes that it would bother mites, aphids and whiteflies but it didn't. Doesn't seem to bother bees or ladybugs either.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2013   #98
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Bill, thank you. They still make them. 42 PCI for 2 gallon container, wow.

Last edited by efisakov; August 4, 2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old August 4, 2013   #99
b54red
Tomatovillian™

The sprayer I got pumps up to about 150 psi and cost a bunch. I thought it was crazy to pay 170 dollars for a sprayer until I used it. It would not be a practical investment unless you grow a good number of plants. I was working myself to death with two gallon tank sprayers and using a large amount of mix every time I had to spray. I sometimes had to fill the tank three times to get good coverage on all my plants when using the bleach spray. It is amazing how much spray it takes to spray between 60 and 100 plants once they get 7 ft tall or larger.

Bill
Old August 4, 2013   #100
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

OK, I did not order it yet. I will keep on looking and I am making sure it is fine to use bleach. Apparently using clorox is not ok for some models, they may refer to a strong mix or so. I will find the right one. Thank you, Bill.

Old August 4, 2013   #101
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
OK, I did not order it yet. I will keep on looking and I am making sure it is fine to use bleach. Apparently using clorox is not ok for some models, they may refer to a strong mix or so. I will find the right one. Thank you, Bill.
I got mine from Northern Tools but when I went on the site I didn't see them anymore. I would not recommend getting the one with the agitator because it is just one more thing to break and it adds to the cost. Just walking around with the sprayer on your back agitates most things adequately. I think that most of their more expensive sprayers would be alright for a mild solution of Clorox because the pump doesn't get any in it like the old style pumps. If you could find the phone number for the company maybe they could give you some information that would help you decide which sprayer to use. I would definitely recommend one with high pressure pumping ability because of the ease of spraying they give you.

Good luck. Bill
Old August 4, 2013   #102
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

thanks

Old August 4, 2013   #103
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I got mine from Northern Tools but when I went on the site I didn't see them anymore. I would not recommend getting the one with the agitator because it is just one more thing to break and it adds to the cost. Just walking around with the sprayer on your back agitates most things adequately. I think that most of their more expensive sprayers would be alright for a mild solution of Clorox because the pump doesn't get any in it like the old style pumps. If you could find the phone number for the company maybe they could give you some information that would help you decide which sprayer to use. I would definitely recommend one with high pressure pumping ability because of the ease of spraying they give you.

Good luck. Bill
Thanks for this info Bill. This thread just got even better.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2013   #104
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Finally the rain has let up some and so I let up on my bleach spraying for almost a week and a half. We have only had three showers in 10 days with a total of only one inch of rain. The humidity has been very high nearly 100% most days and heat indexes nearing 120 so I got out this morning and sprayed everything with the bleach spray even though I was seeing very little disease. I'll try to follow up with Daconil tomorrow. Just because I can't see it doesn't mean it isn't starting up again. Better safe than sorry.

Bill
Old August 17, 2013   #105
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

I've been experimenting with this on some infected transplants I got for cheap.

I'm going to have the following treatment groups:

1) .3% Clorox Germicidal Bleach (starting concentration of 8.25%)

2) .3% Clorox Germicidal Bleach, pH adjusted to 7 with acetic acid (vinegar)

3) 1% drugstore hydrogen peroxide, pH adjusted with acetic acid to around 5.5

4) 3% drugstore hydrogen peroxide

I'll try to post photos with the results. Please feel free to make any suggestions / constructive criticisms.

Last edited by greentiger87; August 17, 2013 at 03:04 PM.
greentiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleach spray