Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old May 7, 2017   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default Eggplant starting from seed

I'm in NorthEast Ohio,have my tomato and pepper seedlings around 6 inches tall.Mt cucumbers plants started last week are up and doing fine.It came to me last night that I forgot to start some eggplant seeds.I have never started these from seed before,is it too late now?I plan on planting everything at the end of the month.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I would almost say so but would rather let people in your area chime in.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017   #3
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Getting late but with our cool weather of late probably OK. My eggplant seedlings are hardened off but pretty much sitting there at the moment with our nights in the 40-50s. Give them warmth and bottom heat if you can and they will catch up!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017   #4
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
Getting late but with our cool weather of late probably OK. My eggplant seedlings are hardened off but pretty much sitting there at the moment with our nights in the 40-50s. Give them warmth and bottom heat if you can and they will catch up!
I started to peat pots with a seed in each one.Have them sitting in a south window.Having sunshine today.I think the whole week looks dry with temps in the 50's and 60's during the day but around high 30's at night for a few days.I'm starting to harden off my tomato and pepper plants to day.It's around 55 out now with sun.I have them in the garage with the door open in the sun inside a clear rubbermaid container.I have a thermometer inside the container showing around 65 degrees.I'll leave them out there a few hours and back in the basement under lights.A few hours each day,extra hour each day and they should be good in a week.Then I can keep them in the garage at night as long as it stays in the 50's or higher.
Old May 7, 2017   #5
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Keep them warm and they will come along faster.
A low tunnel does wonders for the cool spring months.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #6
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Probably too late if you intended to save seed, but if you start them immediately, there should be time to harvest some in the immature stage.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #7
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Eggplants are slower growers than tomatoes, and as Nematode said they like heat and warm soil much more than tomatoes.

I start my seeds very early, Feb-March. They are now sized for plant out but the soil temp is borderline. It's a balancing act. If you wait too long to plant out, they won't have time to set fruit and ripen. Sometimes all I get is a huge plant with giant blossoms.

Personally, I would buy a quality plant as insurance to get a ripe fruit this year. Then you can enjoy your seeded eggplants as bonuses and share with friends if they
produce.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2017   #8
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I thought about buying a plant or two.This is the first time I tried growing them from seed.Thanks to everyone for your answers and advice.