Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old September 17, 2013   #1
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Default Cherry Surprise

Last week my mail lady brought in a small USPS Priority Box and I ASAP said I hadn't ordered anything. I said who is it from, she showed me the return address and it was from Steve ( Double Helix) so I said aha, must be a tomato inside.

I was wrong, it was 18 cherry tomatoes each carefully wrapped in paper toweling with green labels that gave the accession number.

So I e-mailed Steve and thanked him and asked him if he wanted me to rate them for taste, and he said OK. So I did.

I didn't know where to post this, really, b'c I didn't breed these, but I thought that some of you might be interested to see what Steve has going.

Steve, my colors might be off a bit b'c I didn't check the epidermis of the different ones. I kept them here near the computer for snacking and so I could record my results.

9 fruits of 40-32; darkish fruits with darker antho shoulders and a ring of yellow at the stem end. I thought they tasted great.

1 fruit of 10-B1 ???; small red cherry, nothing special for me

2 fruits of 51-12; large pink cherry with a unique taste that's hard for me to describe, but positive on the unique

3 fruits of 18-01; small pink with nipple, 1 with antho on the shoulders, taste OK but not exceptional

2 fruits of 51-03; med red, loved the taste

1 fruit of 40-38; very tiny almost currant sized fruit, antho on the shoulders, excellent taste

And now they're gone and I'll have to find something else to snack on as I sit here at the computer.

Carolyn
Old September 19, 2013   #2
Pappi
Tomatovillian™

The antho current sounds quite interesting. Would like to see something like that. Did you happen to snap any photos of the varieties?
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2013   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappi View Post
The antho current sounds quite interesting. Would like to see something like that. Did you happen to snap any photos of the varieties?
Yes, the tiny almost currant sized one was very interesting and as I said, taste was excellent.

I have no camera, no smart phone to take pictures, not even a dumb phone.

But I need to let Steve know I posted these results and I'll ask him if he took any pictures.

Carolyn