Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 21, 2009   #1
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Default Baby Lettuce

I'm growing lettuces for the first time this year. I love the spring mix or baby lettuce mix (same thing?) that the store offers.

So if I want my own baby lettuce, that means cutting it while it's still young, I assume. Before it's officially "mature?"

I bought some plants -- Arugula and Romaine -- and after a week, the leaves are already the size of the ones that come in the bag. The plants are still smallish. How do you know when to cut?

Christine
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2009   #2
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Hi there Christine, most lettuces that are babies are just the young versions of the same plant. So you do want to harvest them while they're still young. Some lettuce leaves get tougher/stringier as they grow larger.

Some people cut the entire plant off; but cheapy people like me cut only the outer leaves. (Scissors are required for that.) If you harvest only the outer leaves, (leaving the smaller inner leaves) you can have what is called "cut and come again lettuce plants."

The smaller leaves in the center will grow out to make more lettuce leaves for you to enjoy. They will eventually bolt to make seed in the heat of the summer; but remember, once they do that the leaves will become bitter. (Do you want to save seed from them? Then bag the tops when you see the seeds getting mature.) Otherwise pull the plants.

If you have enough space, try to plant more lettuce seeds every 2 weeks till the the heat starts to come on during the summer months.

Once the cool weather comes back you can replant as you want. Remember to look for the maturity date and count backwards so you know when to plant out the last batch of the seeds for harvesting before the killing frost. Lettuce likes it cool, but not frosty.... it'll turn to green mush.

When to cut Arugula and Romaine leaves? Arugula any time you want.
Romaine leaves? Is it a "Heading Romaine" or "Loose Leaved" variety?

HTH,
~* Robin
Old April 22, 2009   #3
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing your lettuce lore, Robin. Looks like I'm ready to start cutting, then.

...cheapy people like me cut only the outer leaves.

I believe we have much in common.

I'm loving learning to grow my own food. Along with that, I will love not having to pay grocery store prices for a bit of lettuce that's already past its prime.

I'll be planting my first round of lettuce seeds next weekend. (The ones that were free from Earthbound Farm, thank you v. much, BattleofBennington.) In the meantime, I'm looking forward to munching on the ones I already have.

Christine
Old April 22, 2009   #4
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Oh, forgot. The romaine didn't come with any information apart from its name. I suspect, from looking at it, that it would be loose-leaved. Certainly doesn't look as if it would turn into a head. But what do I know?

--C.
Old April 22, 2009   #5
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Christine, if you google the name of the Romaine lettuce you can come up with some variety info. That ought to tell you if it is a "Heading Romaine" or "Loose Leaved" variety.
If it's a "Loose Leaved" variety then you can start cutting it as you wish.

If it's a "Heading Romaine" you'll have to wait for it to make a "head" before lopping the head off. Some people want smaller/younger heads; some want the mature heads.

The heads may come back again along the stem if you keep the roots in the ground; but they may grow out as smaller ones and there might be several instead of just one. Sort of like resembling Brussels Sprouts.

~* Robin