Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old October 17, 2018   #1
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Default Got Ants?

Now I know why my Grapevine was dying.

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2018   #2
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I wonder what drew all of those ants?
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2018   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I couldn't tell what kind of ants those were but you can sprinkle the area with food grade diatomaceous earth as long as it stays dry and it will usually wipe them out. Down here we have terrible problems with fire ants and for them I use Amdro but when other ants are a problem I have found the DE really works on them. If you want to kill the swarming ants like those on the stone just mix up some strong Permethrin and soapy water and spray them. That won't get rid of the source but it will slow them down. I just got rid of a large wasp nest under my work table outside with a simple spray of that solution.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2018   #4
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I couldn't tell what kind of ants those were but you can sprinkle the area with food grade diatomaceous earth as long as it stays dry and it will usually wipe them out. Down here we have terrible problems with fire ants and for them I use Amdro but when other ants are a problem I have found the DE really works on them. If you want to kill the swarming ants like those on the stone just mix up some strong Permethrin and soapy water and spray them. That won't get rid of the source but it will slow them down. I just got rid of a large wasp nest under my work table outside with a simple spray of that solution.

Bill

Yeah I killed the swarm, I'll try DE next year I have been using Terro Baits (Can I use DE from a pool supply store?

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2018   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Is it very fine like flour? Unlike food grade it may be high in silicates which you want to avoid breathing but if it is fine enough it should work as a pesticide outside. Just be careful not to breath any dust.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote