Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old July 18, 2008   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default Eggplant and Corn in Containers - Update

Built an EarthTainer for my next door neighbor's birthday present, as she likes Eggplant, but she can't grow it in our California soil. I suggested she put only 2 plants in - - but had already brought 4 home from the nursery:

Well, it now looks like "Eggplant soup" in her 'Tainer, and tells me (secretly) "that my birthday present was even better than the one her husband gave her". I'm in trouble now....

Anyway, the sweet corn keeps getting taller ('Tainer on the right at 102 days since seed, one on the left, 81 days).

So far, not a single corn related insect has found its way to Silicon Valley (nearest they grow corn commercially is 100 miles away in Brentwood, CA.)

...and there is nothing like picking an ear or 2 off the stalk, then immediately dropping them in a pot of boiling water:

"It Don't get no better", as Sinbad would say.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2008   #2
matereater
Tomatovillian™

mmmmmmmmm, I love fresh sweet corn

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2008   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Would somebody please sneak over to Ray's house and cut his ISP connection! I tried to eat my computer screen for crying out loud. Ray, your killing us with those pictures.
All kidding aside, I see an "Earthtainer" book on the horizon. Also, "Tainers-R-Us" has a nice ring to it. Ami
Old July 19, 2008   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ami,

While the tomatoes have been good this year, the "corn'Tainer" success is a wonderful surprise! I have tried to grow corn in standard containers (top watering) in the past and had never been able to get even a single ear of reasonable size. Frankly, I am amazed with the luck I have had. Right now, I am converting 3 additional 'Tainers from my early tomatoes, over to corn for October harvest.

Regarding the EarthTainer project, I am getting emails to the website from folks who are using the design, and many of them say they are making a contribution to the Feed The Children Organization. So, no books nor commercialization of the EarthTainer - - I am just happy if urban gardeners and others who didn't have tillable space can now enjoy the fun of homegrown vegetables.

Ray

http://earthtainer.org/Home_Page.html
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote