Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 3, 2016   #2296
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Some of the stuff going on in my garden:
Reverend Michael Keyes multiflora starting to ripen
Lithium Sunset
Elgin Pink getting big
Next two are a heart shaped ridged multiflora called Rebel Alliance at F4
Next two are top so you can see all the blossoms, and lower fruit set of Kiss The Sky- Tatiana stabilized it from Purple Haze
Lower part of Cherokee Purple, there is more fruit above
Great Pictures. The picture of Kiss the Sky makes me fee good, I just ordered those seeds today. Hoping to get a bit of the Purple Haze taste.
I'll be interested to read how you like it.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2016   #2297
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Great Pictures. The picture of Kiss the Sky makes me fee good, I just ordered those seeds today. Hoping to get a bit of the Purple Haze taste.
I'll be interested to read how you like it.
Larry
Thanks Larry, I can't wait to taste them.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2016   #2298
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

This is an attractive looking oxheart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161203_153905_HDR.jpg (387.4 KB, 108 views)
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2016   #2299
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Great looking plants Marsha and everyone, I love these container success stories.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2016   #2300
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Marsha - Great pictures; I am in awe with all the varieties you grow. Off to look up Kiss the Sky.

Please take a group shot of your containers now that you pruned them. I need to see how the experts do it.

---
Here are our first ripe big tomatoes of the season. We ate the first one on schedule - December 1.

Today we ate Large Barred Boar (EB) which was picked today - With the hurricane and DH helping, it was mislabeled as Black from Tula. I didn't start PBTD until later so it isn't that. LBB is shorter and earlier than PBTD which fits this plant to a tee. I wondered what happened to all my LBB and why I had so many Black from Tula planted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First tomatoes of season.jpg (230.3 KB, 101 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2016   #2301
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Wow Marsha! I cant wait to grow Lucid Gem next year and RMK looks like a monster producer...well they all do really. Grats to all of y'all for the great season.

Barb how would you rate LBB? I have cut it from my grow list 2 years in a row now.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2016   #2302
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Great looking plants Marsha and everyone, I love these container success stories.
Ricky, you, AKMARK, and Barb_FL are the biggest reason for my success. I have been supplementing with a teaspoon of Calcinit and a teaspoon of pure Epsom salt down the EB tube once per week, and 1/2 teaspoon of each in every 7 gal.pot once per week. The production is ah may zing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Marsha - Great pictures; I am in awe with all the varieties you grow. Off to look up Kiss the Sky.

Please take a group shot of your containers now that you pruned them. I need to see how the experts do it.

---
Here are our first ripe big tomatoes of the season. We ate the first one on schedule - December 1.

Today we ate Large Barred Boar (EB) which was picked today - With the hurricane and DH helping, it was mislabeled as Black from Tula. I didn't start PBTD until later so it isn't that. LBB is shorter and earlier than PBTD which fits this plant to a tee. I wondered what happened to all my LBB and why I had so many Black from Tula planted.
Barb, I will let you know when I find an expert Lol! Your fruits look gorgeous.
I planted what was labeled PBTD, but it is a large orange cherry. I thought it was just mislabeled as I had help planting out, but I didn't grow anything that looks like it. Maybe it will be tasty.
Kiss the Sky is the name Tatiana gave to her stabilized version of Purple Haze, an F1 very sought after and no longer has seeds available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Wow Marsha! I cant wait to grow Lucid Gem next year and RMK looks like a monster producer...well they all do really. Grats to all of y'all for the great season.

Barb how would you rate LBB? I have cut it from my grow list 2 years in a row now.
I have seeds of LBB, gotta try it, I know Barb thinks highly of it, and I respect her opinion.
BBV- I plan to put seeds of RMK in my January offer, and if the color is correct, the breeder of Rebel Alliance will give the OK to release those too.
Old December 3, 2016   #2303
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post

LBB and PBTD and GGWT all taste the same to me. What I like about LBB is that the plant is shorter and stockier and the fruit is earlier. This season when I sowed my seeds, I only went with LBB....then in early Sept I started having doubts and sowed PBTD.

For me, they are the 3 bears in Goldilocks.

GGWT is the largest plant and has the latest fruit.
PBTD is in the middle - earlier and smaller than GGWT and
LBB is the shortest and earliest which is a HUGE plus with my staking problems.
Old December 3, 2016   #2304
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I basically just remove leaves that would be overlapping or touching. So many of the dwarf plants have such dense foliage. Did you look at the picture in the link I posted on post 2288? I wish I had a picture of what it looked like before and I know that would help.
I've been doing this since you posted last year. What a difference it makes.

I did it to your picture extent with Wild Fred earlier this fall. It will be my biggest dwarf producer ever.
Old December 3, 2016   #2305
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
LBB and PBTD and GGWT all taste the same to me. What I like about LBB is that the plant is shorter and stockier and the fruit is earlier. This season when I sowed my seeds, I only went with LBB....then in early Sept I started having doubts and sowed PBTD.

Very good info, thanks. Ofc now I want to grow it GGWT was great for me last year but my plants got huge and outgrew 8ft stakes very quickly.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2016   #2306
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Marsha,

Those are amazing plants with incredible production. So awesome!!

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2016   #2307
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Marsha,

Those are amazing plants with incredible production. So awesome!!

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Thanks Ginny! I just can't get over what adding some calcium nitrate and magnesium sulfate down the EB tube once per week will do, oh and a non raining perfect temperature season, oh and a vegibee!
Old December 4, 2016   #2308
natural
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

For any of you market growers out there, what I have done to have a harvest over a full season was to plant PBTD and LBB as well as GGWT, Chocolate Stripes and Dark Queen. PBTD and LBB are my early maturing varieties. They have always been semi-determinate for me. Once they finish I then have GGWT, Choc Stripes and Dark Queen are ready to harvest.

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2016   #2309
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Hey Floridians...U folks getting lots of Orchid bees in your area? I have the blue and green ones. They are some neat to watch hover around from plant to plant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orchidbeetomato.jpg (102.6 KB, 92 views)
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2016   #2310
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenboy View Post
Hey Floridians...U folks getting lots of Orchid bees in your area? I have the blue and green ones. They are some neat to watch hover around from plant to plant.
I have them; mine are metallic blue. I posted pictures of them a couple of weeks ago. The other day I saw a young one pollinating the flower. The young one didn't have the vibrant colors as the mature ones.

They seem to be around all the time. The vegibee really attracts them too.

Here's the link to mine; at bottom of that page. I didn't know what they were called.
http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=37937&page=144

Last edited by Barb_FL; December 4, 2016 at 09:04 PM.