Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old May 16, 2017   #16
tarheelchick
Tomatovillian™

Here's a pic.......not tomato related, but I did use bamboo to make a "wattle" fence. My goal was to make a barrier that might help leaves from my neighbor's yard from constantly blowing into my yard. It actually works pretty good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170219_174446.jpg (532.3 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by tarheelchick; May 16, 2017 at 02:34 PM.
tarheelchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #17
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Always tie your cane above the knuckle using the tried and true rodbusters steel rebar wraps and ties trade methods.Above knuckles stops the slips.I have found the green grounding electrical #8s to 12s are malleable enough for ties.Remember to leave some tails for eventual removal down stream,tuck them after,nothing like ripping your hand wide open when handling.The rodbusters industry mandated,steelworkers manuals can be found online,there are vertical,horizontal,structural wraps sanctioned.When and if the rounds start whistling,bamboo is were you will find me.
Old May 16, 2017   #18
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelchick View Post
Here's a pic.......not tomato related, but I did use bamboo to make a "wattle" fence. My goal was to make a barrier that might help leaves from my neighbor's yard from constantly blowing into my yard. It actually works pretty good!
That will bomber ang a small car enough to stop any real damage.Nice work.
Old May 17, 2017   #19
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
There are some pretty large expanses of bamboo growing around Williamsburg. I pass one or another almost everyday in my travels.

Is it pretty simple to harvest it (with permission from the landowner) yes, a good pair of loppers will do the trick? Does it need to dry or be cured before using it as stakes? no. doesn't have to, but dries quickly after cut.

I realize that there are different varieties of bamboo - does it make much difference for just making stakes? no.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The giant clumping timber bamboo ((Bambusa oldhamii)sucks for just about anything strong.
But not to worry it isn't cold hardy at all.
I have a stand that gets froze back almost every year.
I'm about ready to plant some timber bamboo that will grow here running or not.
I will just eat or use the darn things as they grow and spread.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #21
kurt
Tomatovillian™

If your good with a lathe and have patience,split that select cane,layer,make a squeeze block expozy,dry ,mill ,and lathe,custom split cane poles are a rarity,a old Hemingway owned,just recently brought north of 50 large,found in Idaho,his stomping grounds.I gots a black bamboo,afraid to move it,classic Ted Williams rig.