Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old February 27, 2018   #1
Muslickz
Tomatovillian™

Default Been building outdoor Hydro Tables.. Take a peek.

Hi all I just thought I'd share my recent passion.. well past year or two now..

So here where I live in Florida I was having terrible issues with root nematodes, having had some experience in the past with indoor hydroponics I figured I'd try my hand at building some outdoors.. Lil different approach but basically the same technique.

My first try.. built this one with two concrete mixing tubs..

This next one was my first trial with shower pan liner.. It Worked!
Got way more room for root growth and now I can make them whatever size I'd like!

And the third is just a much better made version of the tub liner table. I stained this one as I was making it for a neighbor who loved the idea and just had to have one.. Materials were about $225 in total and about a day and a half of work.. (Think stain dry time.. )

Anyway, I just wanted to share.. They are all basically ebb and flow tables on timers flooding the units for 15-20 mins every 3 hrs.. I have also added bell siphons just to make sure nothing is wet for too long.

The first one with the concrete tubs just floods for 15mins then drains normally.

-Mus
Muslickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

They look good!
Old February 27, 2018   #3
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Very nice looking setup.
Did you consider burying your water reservoir to keep the solution cool?
I had quite a few Eggplant Plants droop when it got above 90°F for a few days.

Here's my old setup

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Very attractive design. Pond liner is versatile stuff.

I'd guess you would want to put a mosquito dunk (or other BT) in your reservoir every so often, so you didn't get nematodes.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #5
Muslickz
Tomatovillian™

I actually bury the reservoir about halfway to keep it cool.. on really bad days I'll drop a frozen 2ltr of water into em..

I haven't had any issues with mosquitoes, not really sure why? Might be the tadpoles/frogs.. there everywhere and I just let em have at it

Hey SQWIBB, That would be considered a dutch bucket setup yes? I've been thinking of setting a small (5-6 Buckets) unit up myself..

-Mus
Old February 27, 2018   #6
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslickz View Post
I actually bury the reservoir about halfway to keep it cool.. on really bad days I'll drop a frozen 2ltr of water into em..

I haven't had any issues with mosquitoes, not really sure why? Might be the tadpoles/frogs.. there everywhere and I just let em have at it

Hey SQWIBB, That would be considered a dutch bucket setup yes? I've been thinking of setting a small (5-6 Buckets) unit up myself..

-Mus

I tried running a 50' hose buried in a shaded area of the yard in the ground, the theory was sound but too much back pressure.

URDWC
Undercurrent Recirculating Deep Water Culture
Don't have many pics but here's a vid on it

https://youtu.be/XtRB91kM9oI
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #7
Muslickz
Tomatovillian™

Very cool! Now of course I want to build.. lol

-Mus
Old February 27, 2018   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It's not mosquitos that are the problem; there are lots of other larvae-stage insects that eat roots. Sometimes you can see them when you pull up a plant. They look like little black slugs. I get them on any outdoor hydro plant if I don't use the dunks. Maybe you have different bugs than me, though, I'm far away.

The synthetic boards they make for decking and siding look very promising for hydro use. I am hoping to use siding trim boards for my next flood table.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote