Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 21, 2018   #91
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Just ordered the clamps/ties/mounts from Rockporter's link at cable ties unlimited Here are prices for those interested.

Items Ordered
Product Name Sku Price Qty Subtotal
1" Black Adhesive Cable Tie Mounts 100/bag Part #CM100-0C
CM100-0C
$9.50

Ordered: 1
$9.50

8" 50lb Black Pawl Releasable Cable Tiess 100/bag Part #RT8-50-0C-.19
RT8-50-0C-.19
$5.41

$5.41

1/4" Black Heavy Duty Cable Clamp [CC5(1/4)-0C]
CC5-1/4-0C
$3.80

$3.80
Shipping to CO was $14

I have enough to make several cages in the future...
Thanks Rockporter for your diligence!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018   #92
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Just ordered the clamps/ties/mounts from Rockporter's link at cable ties unlimited Here are prices for those interested.

Items Ordered
Product Name Sku Price Qty Subtotal
1" Black Adhesive Cable Tie Mounts 100/bag Part #CM100-0C
CM100-0C
$9.50

$9.50

8" 50lb Black Pawl Releasable Cable Tiess 100/bag Part #RT8-50-0C-.19
RT8-50-0C-.19
$5.41

$5.41

1/4" Black Heavy Duty Cable Clamp [CC5(1/4)-0C]
CC5-1/4-0C
$3.80

$3.80
Shipping to CO was $14

I have enough to make several cages in the future...
Thanks Rockporter for your diligence!
Sounds like you are all ready to go. Have fun!

I'm really glad this thread was revived, it is well worth it for everyone who needs solutions.

Edit: Take a look at post #69. there is a part missing from my original list and I have mentioned it in post #69.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; March 22, 2018 at 12:18 AM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018   #93
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Raybo - Thank you for the picture, it really helped. I love how your cucumber plants are so neat.

Rockporter - There is no way I could do what is described in your post 63. Way too elaborate for me.

I do like the zip tie method in post #33. I think I could handle that.

Were you the one who recommended the zip ties for the plastic bag (vs earthbox cover)? If so, I've implemented it on at least 3 EB and love it; so thank you again.

I use zip ties to attach bambo poles to my cages to make them taller. I finally bought cage extensions but my plants were too large to attach them this year. Being in Florida, we have opposite growing seasons.

---
I'm going to pull out the pea cages tomorrow and look at them again for next season. I don't have any empty EB hanging around to try it now.

---
Cinder blocks did nothing for holding my EB from tipping over in our wind. When I was on the pool deck, the only thing that worked was 20 gallon buckets filled with water. Some I also included the HD 5 gallon orange bucket filled with water for extra support.

Now I'm off the pool deck, but kept a few plants on the porch and yesterday all went down in the gusts (40+ MPH). Only one EB went down; the others have their cages attached to T-Posts.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2018   #94
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Raybo - Thank you for the picture, it really helped. I love how your cucumber plants are so neat.

Rockporter - There is no way I could do what is described in your post 63. Way too elaborate for me.

I do like the zip tie method in post #33. I think I could handle that.

Were you the one who recommended the zip ties for the plastic bag (vs earthbox cover)? If so, I've implemented it on at least 3 EB and love it; so thank you again.

I use zip ties to attach bambo poles to my cages to make them taller. I finally bought cage extensions but my plants were too large to attach them this year. Being in Florida, we have opposite growing seasons.

---
I'm going to pull out the pea cages tomorrow and look at them again for next season. I don't have any empty EB hanging around to try it now.

---
Cinder blocks did nothing for holding my EB from tipping over in our wind. When I was on the pool deck, the only thing that worked was 20 gallon buckets filled with water. Some I also included the HD 5 gallon orange bucket filled with water for extra support.

Now I'm off the pool deck, but kept a few plants on the porch and yesterday all went down in the gusts (40+ MPH). Only one EB went down; the others have their cages attached to T-Posts.
The first design for zip ties isn't nearly as sturdy as the second design for the zip ties. I am the one who told you about using the old bags with zip ties on the earthboxes. I'm glad I can be of help.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old March 27, 2018   #95
rdback
Tomatovillian™

For those looking at Gurney's Pea Fence, they're currently $39.99, but there's a 50% discount code site-wide. Use 0551067, good through month-end. It just worked for me anyway. ymmv
rdback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018   #96
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Here is my non-elegant way I've been securing the cages. As I mentioned above, I've had the EB's fall over, but never had the cage come out.

Materials needed; Pliers.
The wire comes from HomeDepot for T-Posts Clips. One side I can leave as is, the other I bend with the pliers.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...9BEB/205960888

Ove the years, I also tried other methods: Bungee Cords which worked but too expensive and by the time the season was over, they were garbage as they couldn't withstand the FL sun.

Also tried tying them with cord. Way more time consuming. The better cord is expensive too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Securing Cages.jpg (191.2 KB, 41 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #97
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a great way to keep those cages on barb, wish I had thought of something like that, much cheaper than what I did.

~Margaret Atwood~