Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old February 4, 2010   #16
Mjdtexan
Tomatovillian™

Loving this thread.
Old February 4, 2010   #17
casserole
Tomatovillian™

Please elaborate on beginning steps . Explain how to use airstone and mister.how much water /fert. mix ,where did the neoprene cuffs come from ?
casserole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2010   #18
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by casserole View Post
Please elaborate on beginning steps . Explain how to use airstone and mister.how much water /fert. mix ,where did the neoprene cuffs come from ?

Casserole,

the airstone and mister are left in the solution and allowed to run continually, as this is what maintains the warmth in the root zone. As for mixing the fertilizer and water, I simply follow the directions on the label. Most hydroponic fertilizers have directions that are specific to each stage of plant growth, so I use the guidelines that apply to seedlings.

The neoprene cuffs come from a hydroponic supply store. They usually sell them to correspond to different sizes of net pots. Mine are the 2" size. I don't apply them to the plants until they at least 2 sets of true leaves.

Hope I've answered your questions.
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2010   #19
conyaks
Tomatovillian™

any updates on your grow?
conyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2010   #20
conyaks
Tomatovillian™

delete double post
conyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2010   #21
afrance30
Tomatovillian™

Curious as to why you choose aeroponics as opposed to DWC (Deep Water Culture). I'm new to hydroponics and decided to use DWC because of ease of use and easy to make diy systems. I bought a little DWC cloner system on ebay for $30 to try it out and I'm amazed at the results. I've never cloned before but 8 of the 10 cuttings grew roots and both of the two seeds I put in the plugs sprouted. I started the clones three weeks ago and the root mass is really big already on all the clones and floating in the reservoir.

Instead of a larger DWC system should I try something else? Is there problems with DWC I should know about? Just wondering if you had any tips for a hydro newbie.
afrance30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2010   #22
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrance30 View Post
Curious as to why you choose aeroponics as opposed to DWC (Deep Water Culture).

Instead of a larger DWC system should I try something else? Is there problems with DWC I should know about? Just wondering if you had any tips for a hydro newbie.

Sorry for the late reply. I went back to work full time and I'm still trying to for time for life, tomatoes, etc.

Technically, this isn't really aeroponics because as soon as the roots are long enough they'll eventually reach the water.

I've personally had some issues with DWC before. Mainly, it was either too much or too little moisture in the roots, and then the fungal and algae problems that would result.

I like the idea of the roots getting a constant "bath" in a nutrient mist. I think it gives the plants a better chance of taking just what they need without getting waterlogged.
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2018   #23
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Default Aeroponics / Fogponics / Hydro Experiments

Resurrecting this thread. There was another Fogponics thread, but i liked this one better. Also the "Aeroponics trial #2" was a good thread too.

I've begun experimenting with Aeroponics. Some people call it "Fogponoics". Whatever. Right now it might even be a hybrid Aero-Hydro system. Just tinkering right now. Using an ultrasonic piezo disc thingy. What i've read is that is is better for starting plants rather than growing them to full size. We will see. I have some ideas of using my Arduino to program some control stuff like a water temperature cuttoff since plants grow better with their roots cooler than their leaves. The temperature differential might even be necessary for optimum growth. I am currently under the suspicion that if plant roots and leaves are the same temperature that their growth will be none or very slow. Interesting that plants grow more at night.

Anyway, my idea, have a temp cuttoff for root/water temp. But also have the ultrasonic mister pulsed for only a little bit to help avoid water heating. Then even have a small 5vdc fan kick on for a little bit to help add Oxygen / CO2 to the roots. Apparently if the roots get too hot or the fog/mist gets too thick then the oxygen or CO2 levels get too low at the plant suffocates to death. Adding a simple airstone might help offset this.

Some interesting discussions about all this are going on at the MIT OpenAG forum. @oxbowfarm , you might be particularly interested in that because many of them are directly building off the DIY pot growers designs and information.

http://forum.openag.media.mit.edu/t/...utomation/2348

http://forum.openag.media.mit.edu/t/...-you-help/2226

And yes, i know having the clear container will be a problem for algae. Not worrying about that right now. First experiment is first. Pepper seedlings are doing very well so far. Also the piezo does heat up the water over time from the vibrations. I would like to have a better timer cuttoff eventually. Just have it hooked up to the light timer right now. not ideal. Added the airstone yesterday as a backup to help mitigae the higher than ideal water temperature. Yes, this bucket may be too small, but i'm going to see what is possible with even this tiny thing before moving to something bigger and better.
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2018   #24
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The plants I have seen grown out in fogponics were at a hydro store. The baskets contained hydroton clay pebbles, and the fog kept creeping up out of the baskets, making algae grow in the top of the clay pebbles.

A pump that makes 35 psi or greater is the easiest way to do aeroponics. They come in different sizes and models. Smaller pumps run continuously and charge a tank, which gets periodically released with each cycle. Large pumps like a well pump just flip on and off with each cycle.

Good luck with your experiments.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2018   #25
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
The plants I have seen grown out in fogponics were at a hydro store. The baskets contained hydroton clay pebbles, and the fog kept creeping up out of the baskets, making algae grow in the top of the clay pebbles.

A pump that makes 35 psi or greater is the easiest way to do aeroponics. They come in different sizes and models. Smaller pumps run continuously and charge a tank, which gets periodically released with each cycle. Large pumps like a well pump just flip on and off with each cycle.

Good luck with your experiments.
Thanks! Actually i have both clay pebbles and Rockwool cubes underneath the black foam thingies. I think the black foam should block out enough light and escaping moisture to keep algae growth on top at bay.

Yeah i like those pump systems. I actually plan to build one at some point. I saw a good video on YouTube about one. Maybe I'll go find it and post it here. But just experimenting small for now. If it fails that's okay. I like learning by doing.
Old January 12, 2018   #26
shatbox
Tomatovillian™

Keen101, are you using this setup for just for starts?
shatbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2018   #27
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatbox View Post
Keen101, are you using this setup for just for starts?
I might. But i want to also try using it for long-term cultivation of adult plants as well despite hearing that it might not work and/or is hard to do. If it fails and the plants die that's fine. But i'm relatively surprised at how well it is good at starting seeds, so already i am more than pleased with it thus far.

I've heard that once roots that are used to aero reach a deep water culture they slow down or get stunted before being able to adapt. But we will see what happens, any data is good data and there is always something to learn regardless of the outcome.
Old January 13, 2018   #28
shatbox
Tomatovillian™

I've tried deep water culture and Kratky and have seen explosive growth in secondary and tertiary roots. It's so fascinating to watch it happen. I gotta get lights like the setup you have, outdoor ambient temps are too high for my plants

Super cool to watch you work it out, keep it up
shatbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018   #29
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatbox View Post
I've tried deep water culture and Kratky and have seen explosive growth in secondary and tertiary roots. It's so fascinating to watch it happen. I gotta get lights like the setup you have, outdoor ambient temps are too high for my plants

Super cool to watch you work it out, keep it up
Cool! thanks. And that's awesome to hear.

These are the lights i'm using right now. They work pretty good and good for the money in my opinion. though in the future i will spring for full spectrum LED lighting as the red/blue/UV leakage is hard on the eyes. White is better for human eyes.

https://www.banggood.com/100W-1131-R...p-1020547.html
Old January 14, 2018   #30
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Kessil makes some very nice lights: http://www.kessil.com/
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote