Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old April 20, 2011   #16
bdank
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
bdank,

Yes, they are galvanized and have not rusted in 4 years that I have had them outside on the EarthTainers. The darn things cost more than $1.00 at Home Depot. If you need just a few, Lowes is best at $0.47 each.

The online source I referenced in the Guide with a price of $0.16 each in 100 qty. is obviously the best deal. I have now ordered from them a total of 5 times without a problem. Seem really reliable and honest.

Raybo
Raybo,
Thanks again for sharing your online source. I bought 400 from them as I need to make 20 cages (20 per cage). They were very fast to ship them to me, I have them already!

I'm wondering how you managed to get a 64" cage? I clamped mine together at the legs and mine are only 60" tall. I would think yours would be shorter than mine since you bent your legs.

bdank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011   #17
bdank
Tomatovillian™

BTW here's a link to where we are discussing these cages on the earthbox forum.
Old April 20, 2011   #18
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

bdank,

In your lower photo, it looks like your "assembler" (DH?) has squandered about 2 inches of height by overlapping the cages too much. Have him loosen the wire rope clips and pull the extension cage upward until there is minimal rod overlap. This should add about 2 (new) inches to your total cage height.

I've just measured mine and they total 61 inches above the potting mix to the top.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011   #19
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Raybo, you are one ingenious dude. So much so that you force me to question my own intelligence.

organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011   #20
bdank
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
bdank,

In your lower photo, it looks like your "assembler" (DH?) has squandered about 2 inches of height by overlapping the cages too much. Have him loosen the wire rope clips and pull the extension cage upward until there is minimal rod overlap. This should add about 2 (new) inches to your total cage height.

I've just measured mine and they total 61 inches above the potting mix to the top.

Raybo
The "assembler" would be me . I think I'll leave them as is because I'm only 63 inches tall. After adding in the height of the earthbox, these are just the right height for me to still be able to reach the top. I learned my lesson last year not to cage higher than I can reach!
Old April 20, 2011   #21
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by organichris View Post
Raybo, you are one ingenious dude. So much so that you force me to question my own intelligence.

organichris,

I am just trying to apply what I've learned in Technology over the years to growing tomatoes.

This afternoon, I had Farhad Manjoo over to the 'Tainer "Farm" as he has just built 3 of them himself, and wanted to see them in operation. I think he left somewhat impressed with the applied technology that went in to design the system. Stay tuned, as he indicated he may be writing an article on them for Slate.com

http://www.slate.com/id/2272970/author/47787

Fun stuff!

Raybo
Old April 21, 2011   #22
bdank
Tomatovillian™

Is there anyone in the Fredericksburg VA area that wants to buy 40 of the Glamos tomato cages? I cut the legs off because I used to attach them to my earthboxes. I'm replacing them with the pea fences because they are collapsible. If someone wants to make me an offer send me a PM.

Old May 14, 2011   #23
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Damon,

I have now improved the rigidity of the design by using 8 wire rope clips to secure the horizontal ribs of the cage together, instead of the zip ties.

If you hand tighten them with a nut driver to be snug, the joints still will twist easily to fold up the cage. The flattened cage measures 42 inches wide, by 61 inches high. Keeping them inside during the Winter will obviously prolong their life, as well as the Yard just looks better, according to Dear Wife.

Anybody want to buy 32 (slightly used) Glamos heavy-duty tomato cages???

Raybo
This is a little off topic, but I am wondering how well the Glamos tomato cages work in a garden. Since the top is wider than the bottom, I always thought they would fall over unless they were secured to a t-post or some other type of support. Am I wrong in my assumption?
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011   #24
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

You definitely need to stake the Glamos cages, or else the weight of the plant and fruit will pull them over. That was one of my continuing challenges when I grew in a raised bed, prior to the EarthTainers.

Raybo
Old May 16, 2011   #25
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Raybo! Originally, I was thinking about using them for determinate tomatoes. Would the glamos cage work okay for small fruited peppers like Jalapenos, etc. (where there wouldn't be too much weight on the cage)? Or do you think they would still fall over?

Mark
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011   #26
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Mark,

Wind will bring down an un-staked cage with either det or indet tomato plants. Too much of a "sail". Peppers on the other hand, will probably be OK without staking if you drive the 4 legs in deep into the ground. In any event, pounding a 2x2 through the cage and into the dirt is cheap insurance, to not walk out one morning and see your plant laying on the ground.

Raybo
Old May 17, 2011   #27
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I can't buy any of the pea cages this so I am thinking of using some existing crw that I have. I was thinking of using ratcheting tie downs to secure them to the earthtainer.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011   #28
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

desert,

Someone (can't remember the Thread) did a really neat job of using a mechanical Brake to bend the CRW perfectly around the handles, to have a 7 foot section wrap around the EarthTainer. He started the CRW right at the handle (which is about 6 inches wide) then made the 4 bends to fit snugly. He bent the ends of the legs as per the EarthTainer Cage instructions to have the CRW clip on to the 'Tainer.

Raybo
Old May 18, 2011   #29
brismith70
Tomatovillian™

Raybo:

The thread that you are looking for is the EarthTainers in AZ thread at: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=17353.

Brian
brismith70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011   #30
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Brian, yes that is the Thread. This guy "dallred" is REALLY talented! Puts my Gurney's Pea Fence modifications to shame.

I love the green powder coat he did on the CRW to keep them from rusting. (Wish he lived closer to San Jose where I could "incentivize" him to make me 24 of them).

Raybo