Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 29, 2012   #31
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Default A Third way to attach Pea Fence

Raybo and BDank, I wanted to show you my take on your Pea Fence design I am using on my Earth Box. I don't have anywhere to sink the Rebar into the ground since my containers are on concrete. I am using Zip Ties to attach the cage to my Earth Box and a concrete brick on the opposite wind side to keep it from toppling in the wind. I have used this design for 2 seasons and am starting my third one.

Photos below with instructions.

You will start with 1 EB, 2 Gurney's Pea Fences and your Wire Rope Clips following Raybos Design to put them together. You will need your Zip Ties and a Wire Cutting Tool. You will not bend the cage at all, just put it together(see photos 10 and 11 for reference).

Photo 1
Zip Ties tied together to make a ring, use as many as it takes to wrap tightly against the top of EB and add 12 zip ties in a small loop to the ring, I will explain further down the line.

Photo 2
Slip the zip tie ring under the EB being careful not to topple it or spill out your precious rain water as I did.

Photo 3
Place the cage onto the EB and attach a zip tie to one of the extra 12 zip tie loops you added to the zip tie ring and loop this third zip tie to the cage(2 per short side and 4 per long side) making sure you don't fully tighten them until you have all attached and you can tighten them evenly around the EB. The short end of the EB will have the cage on top of it and the long end on each side will have the cage hanging over a small amount.

Photo 4, 5 and 6
Zip Tie is cinched tightly around the cage and attached to the small looped zip tie you attached to the large ring of zip ties.

Photo 7 and 8
Shows all zip ties evenly cinched around the EB with all the zip ties trimmed.

Photo 9
Completed Cage attached to EB with zip ties.

Photo 10, 11 and 12
Two Gurney Pea Fences attached together with Wire Rope Clips according to Raybo's Design.
Cage Rod Overlapping(I did this to keep from being injured by the rods when reaching into the cage, you could make the cage higher if you need to, I only plant indeterminates so don't need the extra 3 inches or so.
Tools needed for assembly of Zip Tie Ring.

*******NOTE:********

At the end of the season, cut only the third zip tie off to remove the cage for easy redo of the EB planting mix and your plantings. Then use just twelve new zip ties to reattach the cage to the EB. I am on my third planting with this design.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; March 29, 2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Added step by step instructions
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2012   #32
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Very nice construction.

As the plants reach near the top, there will be a tendency in the wind for the cage to act like a sail, and tip over. Since you are on a concrete pad, I would make some form of an "L" bracket on each side of your EarthBox that would sit outboard of the Box, then bolt it to the cage.

Think like outriggers on a canoe. This will give you some stability on the concrete pad when windy. Keep us posted with pictures during the Season.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2012   #33
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Raybo, I appreciate your original post and then BDanks subsequent one using the design on an EB. I do have concrete cinder blocks that I use to keep the box from tipping over and haven't had a problem yet. I do like your idea for supporting the EB(cage) with your "L" bracket idea. I will let you know if I do implement this design.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old March 29, 2012   #34
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

The kind of "L" bracket I am thinking about is the type used for shelving. I would look for the longest ones available (18 inches minimum), then use the wire rope clips in 2 places to attach it to the cage. In fact, I would probably use a pair of brackets on each long side of the EB spaced apart near each corner, which would give you even greater stability in the wind.

Raybo

EDIT: I just noticed in picture #9 that you have the casters on. I would definitely remove them, as they make it easier for the EB to tip with your cage loaded with fruit. You want as stable a base as possible.

Last edited by rnewste; March 29, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old March 29, 2012   #35
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
The kind of "L" bracket I am thinking about is the type used for shelving. I would look for the longest ones available (18 inches minimum), then use the wire rope clips in 2 places to attach it to the cage. In fact, I would probably use a pair of brackets on each long side of the EB spaced apart near each corner, which would give you even greater stability in the wind.

Raybo

EDIT: I just noticed in picture #9 that you have the casters on. I would definitely remove them, as they make it easier for the EB to tip with your cage loaded with fruit. You want as stable a base as possible.
I like your "L" bracket idea.

The wheels have to stay on the box because when we get a real cold front and high winds I have to move said box into the screen area and close it up. If you notice in the pic I have 4 SWP made of 5 gallon buckets and those are on wheeled plant holders too. I can't lift the buckets so the wheels make it easier to move them into the screen closure much easier. I haven't had a problem yet of them being knocked over so I think I will be ok. I am not far(1/2 mile or so) from the intercoastal waterway and we get lots of high wind gusts here, but those "Northers" really beat things up real good.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old April 1, 2012   #36
elight
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ray,

I just completed the construction of my first EarthTainer yesterday without a hitch. The next step is the removable cage. I already ordered and received the Burpee's pea fences, and am just waiting to collect the other needed supplies. I wanted to let you know two things that I have discovered:

1. The "wire rope clips" at Lowe's have apparently gone up in price. The EarthTainer guide suggests that they cost $0.45, but they are actually $0.88 (at least by me). This means that if you are building more than ONE cage systems, it makes sense to order the box of 100.

2. I am having trouble locating a 1/4" stainless steel tube locally. I did find that Lowe's carries a 3/16" aluminum tube for around $2.50. By my measurements, this would be a very close fit... it may work, may not. Before I go and order the 1/4" tube online, have you by any chance tried with a 3/16" tube?

Thanks!
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2012   #37
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

elight,

Congrats on the EarthTainer build!!

Were there any part of the instruction that were confusing or unclear? I always want to improve the clarity of the Guide.

Regarding the bending tube, neither Lowes nor Home Depot carry this tube. You have to go to a full service Hardware store or Welding Supply store. I found it more convenient to order it on Ebay at the link I have in the Guide if you don't have a full service Hardware store locally.

Raybo
Old April 1, 2012   #38
elight
Tomatovillian™

Ray - I will send you a PM sometime this week with a few parts that I think might need some clarification (although ultimately I was able to get through the build without any trouble, really).

I will bite the bullet and order the tube online, as well as the wire rope clips. Although it would be a few dollars cheaper to pick up the $0.88 ones at Lowe's, I figure I'm going to build plenty more of these in future years.
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012   #39
bdank
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Raybo and BDank, I wanted to show you my take on your Pea Fence design I am using on my Earth Box.
Rockporter, I love your idea. This is so much cheaper than using the staking system clamps. You might want to post this idea to my thread about these cages on the earthbox forum.
bdank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012   #40
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Hi BDank, I am finding that the cage parts that a sticking up are kind of dangerous though so I think I am going to try to get my husband to bend those thingsaround something to make them less dangerous. I was bending over next to the EB today and scratched my face on one of them. I never got close enough before I think but I could see somebody taking out their eye on that part. Safety fast, ya know?

~Margaret Atwood~

Old April 18, 2012   #41
bdank
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Hi BDank, I am finding that the cage parts that a sticking up are kind of dangerous though so I think I am going to try to get my husband to bend those thingsaround something to make them less dangerous. I was bending over next to the EB today and scratched my face on one of them. I never got close enough before I think but I could see somebody taking out their eye on that part. Safety fast, ya know?
Yes, you can get scratched on those. I have thought of putting some kind of cap on the end but haven't found any that fit yet.

I posted a link to your photos here over on the earthbox forum.
Old April 18, 2012   #42
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdank View Post
Yes, you can get scratched on those. I have thought of putting some kind of cap on the end but haven't found any that fit yet.

I posted a link to your photos here over on the earthbox forum.
Thanks BDank.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 11, 2012   #43
baileyj
Tomatovillian™

This past weekend I attached my 3 new PeaFence trellises to my EBs...
I used 4--24 inch zipties for the band around the box--they are very thick and I hope will last longer ! I used 8 inch zips for the loops and tie-downs.

Just a word to the wise....the problem I had with the first box was not evenly tightening the 4 zipties, so when I was 99% done and tightening the cage down, one of the 4 unzipped

Emergency resolved by adding another tie, but it took a good bit of patience to finish !

Box #2 and #3 went very smoothly after learning my lesson.

I am hoping to compare the ziptie method to the EB clamp method with 2 boxes next to each other...

I hope the ziptie method wins !
Judi
baileyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2012   #44
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad it worked out for you baileyj.

I haven't had any problems with mine hanging on and the setup has never leaned one way or the other, it is really sturdy. I think I might go the route of getting some of that sticky dip stuff for all my sharp points. I would like to know the results of your test between the EB clamps and the zip ties though.

I secure my EB upright by using cinder blocks, one on each side.

I just received 7 more EB's the other day and ordered all the pea fences and rope clips for them. I am switching everything over to EB's the next growing season. I won't have any other kind of planter around here because there isn't space for more than the eight EB's I will have. He he.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; June 11, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old June 11, 2012   #45
bdank
Tomatovillian™

That's great, Judi. I'd love to see some photos.