Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old July 31, 2017   #16
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I did that and it was a joke.
Worth
I'm sure it was. Here if you don't there is a mighty big fine to be had. I'd rather let them come out at no charge. If they goof it up, it won't be on my head.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2017   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
I'm sure it was. Here if you don't there is a mighty big fine to be had. I'd rather let them come out at no charge. If they goof it up, it won't be on my head.
I wanted them to find the line running to my house so I wouldn't hit it.
And they wouldn't.
Any idiot would know where the main water line is along the street and the rest of the stuff is over head.

Total waste of time for me and my situation.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2017   #18
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

No gas line?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2017   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
No gas line?

No gas line.

Worth
Old July 31, 2017   #20
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Schedule 80 is required for hose bib type yard pvc piping here in our agricultural and homes now(city water connect).Wells by design( not under constant pressure per say)have the open out( the ground)requires schedule 40 only.If you go on a vacation,and your Mickey Mouse rig tends to fail,it leaks like 3/4 inch pressurized line should do,all day and nite,two weeks later you come home,basement is filled to top steps.You get the bill,hefty to say the least.Insurance your savior for damage,not the bill.We like the durability of the PVC shut off,at city connect,at house ,and,before your bib.Redundency(x2)works well when in a emergency/ repair type situation,plus no long back and forth walking.The round (daisy) shut off is not allowed in commercial ops since they are not ADA compliant(no grabbing,lever only for hand arm wrist disability).Plus as we all know those friggin center screws rot out at the most improper time.The proper preclean/purple,and their super pvc glues will last a long time.The single levers for main shutoffs(brass)and the wing pvc shut offs for downstream as imaged above ( thanx my foot smells).Good luck,and don't be sniffing the glue .������

Last edited by kurt; July 31, 2017 at 09:37 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2017   #21
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

PEX pipe is all I use anymore, if you use crimp rings you will have to buy crimpers though. Shark bite fittings are expensive but you don't need crimpers.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2017   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
PEX pipe is all I use anymore, if you use crimp rings you will have to buy crimpers though. Shark bite fittings are expensive but you don't need crimpers.
For my automatic bird bath watering stand pipes I used sweat joint copper pipe.
Looks nice.

Worth
Old August 1, 2017   #23
elight
Tomatovillian™

We had our house repiped with PEX when we moved in. Great product, but I wouldn't trust myself to do the fitting properly and who knows what it's like underground.

I'm tempted to go with a hose underground if I can tuck it under the grass without digging a ditch. I haven't had a freeze in my 4 winters here. And if it does leak, I'm just out the cost of a hose. And since I just want to use it for occasional watering, I wouldn't leave it under pressure anyhow. Thank you everyone for your input!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2017   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by elight View Post
We had our house repiped with PEX when we moved in. Great product, but I wouldn't trust myself to do the fitting properly and who knows what it's like underground.

I'm tempted to go with a hose underground if I can tuck it under the grass without digging a ditch. I haven't had a freeze in my 4 winters here. And if it does leak, I'm just out the cost of a hose. And since I just want to use it for occasional watering, I wouldn't leave it under pressure anyhow. Thank you everyone for your input!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
If you do use the hose and you use the thing in you pictuer at the beginning of the thread you will need one more fitting.
A female hose thread to what looks like a male 3/4 pipe thread.
Use brass.
It will have a male 3/4 pipe thread on one end and the swivel hose connection on the other.
A hose thread is 11 1/2 threads per inch no taper the 3/4 pipe is 14 threads per inch tapered.

I cant count how many times I have seen people try to screw these two mismatch threads together.
Worth
Old August 2, 2017   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This statement about PEX in Wiki is totally wrong.
""Greater water pressure at fixtures. Since PEX pipes typically have fewer sharp turns, there is greater water pressure at the sinks and showers and toilets where it is needed.""
No matter what size or type pipe the static water pressure will always be the same.
The flow is what changes due to friction loss in fittings and high velocity in long runs of pipe that is too small.
If you are losing flow/perceived as pressure at fixtures in and or around a house you are running to small a size pipe.
Any house should have at least 3/4 main pipes dropping down to 1/2 only at each faucet or other fixture.
I personally would run at least one inch from the meter even if the meter was 3/4 on a long run.
The other big mistake is not taking into consideration the house water when installing an irrigation system.
If it is taking all the water the house wont have any while it is running.
Seen that done by fly by night low bid installers.

Worth
Old August 2, 2017   #26
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
This statement about PEX in Wiki is totally wrong.
""Greater water pressure at fixtures. Since PEX pipes typically have fewer sharp turns, there is greater water pressure at the sinks and showers and toilets where it is needed.""Worth
Well now you have to fix it, lol.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2017   #27
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Some reference info and guidelines we use here in fl.Pex is listed.

http://www.ecodes.biz/ecodes_support...stribution.pdf
Old August 2, 2017   #28
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Indoor supply line is generally coded differently than outside supply line. PVC is generally not used here for outdoor supply - it can be used for discharge. 3/4 copper is standard from meter to house.

For outdoor application it would be ideal to run an insulated copper line off a T (possibly with a pressure regulator if needed), bury below the frost line and run to a frost free pump spigot that drains water below freeze line when turned off.

....but as previously stated, the craftsman **all rubber** lifetime hose I use on one application has held up 7 years, where needed to be "dug" into the ground, I simply scrawled a 2-3" deep line with a pick ax and laid the hose down. The grass has overgrown and have never chopped up with my mower - but if I did, Sears would give me a new one. That puppy stretches 100 feet too.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2017   #29
kurt
Tomatovillian™

All my replys have irrigation in mind.Here where I am at,30 ft wells are needed for irrigation 10 more foot at 40 fr it is deemed safe for drinking.All this for a mere 300 bucs,add 10 for the extra feets,two cases of beer and wells at each end of property, most homes here come with a 1 1/2 or 2 inch,this was drilled at lot as option when building.Fills my pool in 5 hours tops at 23000gallons,clear filtered by oolitic limestone.
Old August 2, 2017   #30
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
All my replys have irrigation in mind.Here where I am at,30 ft wells are needed for irrigation 10 more foot at 40 fr it is deemed safe for drinking.All this for a mere 300 bucs,add 10 for the extra feets,two cases of beer and wells at each end of property, most homes here come with a 1 1/2 or 2 inch,this was drilled at lot as option when building.Fills my pool in 5 hours tops at 23000gallons,clear filtered by oolitic limestone.
Is that fresh or salt.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote