Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old April 7, 2018   #31
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Wanna share your rub for the ribs Rajun?! Yours look terrific and Kroger had ribs 99 cents this weekend. We are revving up our Cabela's smoker tomorrow bright and early! Yum!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #32
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'm guessing it's a HOA rule.

You need some pine scented incense to calm them down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbfO...TXxM&index=102
Old April 7, 2018   #33
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Wanna share your rub for the ribs Rajun?! Yours look terrific and Kroger had ribs 99 cents this weekend. We are revving up our Cabela's smoker tomorrow bright and early! Yum!
I made a combination of the Carolina and Kansas City rub but I left out the chili powder. I also used less brown sugar. I cook ribs using the 3-2-1 method for ribs but it's really 2.5-1.5-about 30 minutes. It depends on your temp how fast they cook. If you're not familiar with 3-2-1 watch this, I do the same thing and they're awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5A2JcUB3jM&t=347s

Here's his rub recipe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Killer hogs BBQ Rub.JPG (42.8 KB, 62 views)
Old April 7, 2018   #34
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I forgot the rubs pics, here's what I was talking about between the Carolina and KC rub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29313290_1672321869522489_8059940103029522432_n.jpg (125.7 KB, 63 views)
Old April 8, 2018   #35
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Have you guys not heard of the new EPA regulations on some of this stuff?
In other places you cant burn due to smoke not fire hazards on certain days.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2018   #36
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

In my research I found an old news clip from here in Austin were they almost came up with some regulations on BBQ smoke.

One guy was complaining about the smoke coming from some food trailers that had been there longer than he had been alive.
I know exactly where this place is.
It is one of those areas in east Austin that rich folks are moving to.
Now they want people that have made a living there to pack up and move some place else.

I looked at some of the rub recipes too.

One thing I never ever do is add sugar of any kind in the rub mix.
If I want sugar it is separate.
Now that I have a source for ancho powder I wont be using generic chili powder.
Old April 8, 2018   #37
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Most people use sugar in rubs for pork to build the bark everyone wants and it's cooked in relatively low indirect heat(225-275). It's so light that it doesn't burn like keeping it covered in a sweet bbq sauce over the heat source. Then the meat is wrapped when you get the color you want. You should try that recipe for ribs, it's not nearly as sweet as you'd think when finished.

I don't use sugar on beef, a simple SPG will work great.
Old April 8, 2018   #38
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Most people use sugar in rubs for pork to build the bark everyone wants and it's cooked in relatively low indirect heat(225-275). It's so light that it doesn't burn like keeping it covered in a sweet bbq sauce over the heat source. Then the meat is wrapped when you get the color you want. You should try that recipe for ribs, it's not nearly as sweet as you'd think when finished.

I don't use sugar on beef, a simple SPG will work great.
I have used just about every combination there is including sugar.
The sugar I just keep separate until I mix it in the rub if I want to.
This allows me leeway with the rub.
Old April 9, 2018   #39
rdback
Tomatovillian™

Hey Rajun,

I agree, love Malcom's stuff. Do you use brown sugar, honey and butter on your ribs at the wrap?

By the way, ever thought about competing? It be lookin good!
rdback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2018   #40
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I followed his technique a few times and they were nice. Here's some I cooked on the Char Griller pit. The sauce has chunks of onions in it because I mixed Jack Millers and Sweet Baby Rays.

Here's a butt I did a while back

Malcom Reed will do a live Youtube interview Thursday @ 9E if you're interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGQMFOEFato

I don't know if everyone knows who Stump is but he just did a live Facebook video too, here's the link. I haven't watched it yet so I don't know what's in it.
https://www.facebook.com/walter.s.mc...DQ3MA/?fref=nf

I'd love to compete just for the experience, if I find a local/somewhat close to me comp I will.

I just finished a few mods on a cheap offset that I hope will cook the way I want, it's doing good so far. I'll start a new thread with pics of all the changes I made to it later.
Old April 10, 2018   #41
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Never really heard of these, though I have scoffed at big green egg and the price. They sell them down at the local hardware/propane dealer. Can you use a barrel smoker like that (UDS) for smoking stuff other than BBQ? When I think smoking I think cured meats, jerky, and ring bologna, etc, starting at 130 and then finishing at maybe 170f for 155f internal temp. 235f is way too hot.

How would you use a UDS for venison? Pork/chicken/beef have way more fat to cook out.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2018   #42
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
Never really heard of these, though I have scoffed at big green egg and the price. They sell them down at the local hardware/propane dealer. Can you use a barrel smoker like that (UDS) for smoking stuff other than BBQ? When I think smoking I think cured meats, jerky, and ring bologna, etc, starting at 130 and then finishing at maybe 170f for 155f internal temp. 235f is way too hot.

How would you use a UDS for venison? Pork/chicken/beef have way more fat to cook out.
I made one one time with an electric burner for smoking cured meat.
It rusted out pretty fast due to the salts.
And the reason mine is now made out of wood, and I start out around 50-60 to 70 degrees.

As for competition it isn't just about the food and how good it is and how it tastes it is about presentation and many other things like the show you put on.
So much so I dont have any interest in it at all.

You can have the best food around and if the (((parsley))) isn't just right you lose.

Worth
Old April 10, 2018   #43
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post

It's easy to control the temp with a little practice. The heat depends on how much charcoal you use in the basket, how hot you get your fire when you start and air control. I found this video of a guy making jerky, you can see he used very little charcoal for an 8 hour cook time. I would use the charcoal snake method so I wouldn't have to open it up to add more wood chips.
Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t70L16rNfBw

Another option for smoke is to use a smoke tube like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8xkSIRnS44

Here's deer on a UDS.
http://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=330

Snake method with chips
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ndFl7m.jpg (26.0 KB, 32 views)
Old April 29, 2018   #44
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'm firing her up again today for ribs and stuffed turkey wings, maybe more meat for leftovers. I'm shooting for color on this cook, I want mahogany colored ribs with no burnt spots when I'm done so I'll use a diffuser plate. I'm testing some ground Annannto seeds(achiota) as a base for color and 2 Gringos Chupacabra rub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2066.JPG (430.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2069.JPG (383.1 KB, 16 views)
Old April 29, 2018   #45
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I just wrapped the ribs with a little apple juice. I had to sample that rib end piece and it had awesome flavor.

I like that color!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2070.JPG (381.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2071.JPG (387.3 KB, 10 views)