Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old January 20, 2018   #46
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I use the rolls of blank white labels then print out the names with label stickers. They dont sell labels for most of the things I sell. I also mass plant my peppers just like tomatoes.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018   #47
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I checked and it's a free money grab for the govmint. $25 for a greenhouse less than 200sqft and $100 for anything over. No test just a fee. Can you guess what my space will be?

I haven't looked into regs for plants, but here any structure (and greenhouses, even "portable" ones count) greater than 100 square feet require a building permit, which means it also has to pass an inspection after it's put up. A lot of people who put up portable garages back when those first hit the market were surprised to find the local building inspector at their door...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018   #48
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I checked and it's a free money grab for the govmint. $25 for a greenhouse less than 200sqft and $100 for anything over. No test just a fee. Can you guess what my space will be?
That's Louisiana for you. Do they still charge your vehicle registration fee based on the value of the vehicle? A friend of mine moved to Baton Rouge after buying a new truck, and it was like a thousand bucks to get plates.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018   #49
bower
Tomatovillian™

Wow... I can't even imagine needing a license to sell plants. Even at $25... that's nuts! I sure hope our gobminotaurs dont get wind of it and decide to imitate your gobmentors.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018   #50
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
That's Louisiana for you. Do they still charge your vehicle registration fee based on the value of the vehicle? A friend of mine moved to Baton Rouge after buying a new truck, and it was like a thousand bucks to get plates.
I think that's normal for most states, I know Ms is the same way. The good thing is after that first tax payment the yearly fees go way down. For trucks the renew fees go by tonage.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018   #51
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I think that's normal for most states, I know Ms is the same way. The good thing is after that first tax payment the yearly fees go way down. For trucks the renew fees go by tonage.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/transpo...-by-state.aspx
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018   #52
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post

In Taxachusetts we do have the flat rate indicated on that map for the plates (I think currently $55 every two years for passenger vehicles and $25 every year for motorcycles).

Then we also have to pay Sales Tax on our purchase price when we buy it, and a yearly Excise Tax to the town we live in based on the value of the vehicle.

Oh, and we have compulsary vehicle insurance, and need a $30 a year state inspection.

And if we have any money left over for gas, then we can actually leave the driveway with it...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018   #53
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

My plant tags came in and they look so professional that people might think I know what I'm doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1405[1].jpg (296.0 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1406[1].jpg (307.2 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1407[1].jpg (282.6 KB, 146 views)
Old January 23, 2018   #54
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Rajun, those are beautiful, but I think people are going to know that you know what you're doing when they see how beautiful your plants are. What do you think?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018   #55
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I hope so Marsha, that's the plan. This is a learning year so I'll know soon enough.
Old February 20, 2018   #56
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I sold 7 flats of 6 paks today to the feed store. They want me to continue growing 6 paks and singles now too. Singles are a money maker! They will supply the potting soil and seeds they carry in the store. I'm on the hook for inserts, time, seeds they don't carry and a little fertilizer.

I didn't think this out longterm, I figured a few weeks but now they want plants till July. I transplanted more plants today and it's turning into a job. I still have too many to transplant.

I can't complain, I'm 52, retired, don't need the money and it feeds my addiction. I might have a full size greenhouse before I know it.
Old February 20, 2018   #57
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I got into a deal something like that with an Italian that owned a restaurant years ago with tomatoes.
Sounds like you are on your way to having a good time.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018   #58
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Rajun...

Sounds like your going to need some of my 512 Cell Trays at the rate your going.

Glad to hear your doing OK.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018   #59
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Just thought about this, about what age are the plants that your supplying to the Feed Store?
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2018   #60
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

These were started on Jan 15th. The plants are growing fast with the heat, we went from winter to almost summer already. 60's at night and high 70's days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1645.JPG (323.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1647.JPG (347.3 KB, 79 views)