Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 8, 2014   #31
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Yeah I find this creepy.
I thought Mary was talking to herself.

Worth
I get in less trouble talking to myself than either you or I do talking to others apparently...(you really had a bulls-eye on your forehead this last week...)
Old March 8, 2014   #32
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
I get in less trouble talking to myself than either you or I do talking to others apparently...(you really had a bulls-eye on your forehead this last week...)
Yeah but they cant shoot.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #33
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
So your telling me my homemade chimney made out of coffee cans and duct tape isn't good enough?

Worth
as long as you double lined the coffee cans with smaller cans i have to say you are within code
Old March 8, 2014   #34
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnjjohn View Post
as long as you double lined the coffee cans with smaller cans i have to say you are within code
"Smacks herself in the forehead" OF COURSE...I forgot the "Two Coffee Can Rule"!!!
Old March 10, 2014   #35
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Default i have a wood stove question

I bought some of those plastic creosote burning tubes from lowes today.. never used chemicle soot cleaners before.. i always use a wire brush every month during the burn season... I do get enough creosote though .. enough to ask if these tubes work to clean or are they to help prevent soot build up? I read online they do help considerably to help keep the soot or creosote from building up on my stainless steel chimney. I know it varies depending on what seasoned hardwood is used. but i thought I'd ask if anyone notices a difference or how to use the stuff.
Old March 11, 2014   #36
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

A long long ago my parents tries them. I didn't see any difference at all. My parents where fire paranoid enough that they ran very cool fires and as a result the creosote tended to resemble asphalt more than anything else.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2014   #37
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
A long long ago my parents tries them. I didn't see any difference at all. My parents where fire paranoid enough that they ran very cool fires and as a result the creosote tended to resemble asphalt more than anything else.
I think you are right too,, i am going to try one but the tube is plastic and instructions said not to remove the stuff from the tube,, the only problem with that is my woodstove has a catalyst wafer and my stove instructions are to avoid burning plastic.. what i figure after buying a few tubes,, is dump the stuff on a long half moon of dry bark and than put it on the amber,, I'll do that tomorrow during the day,, it is freezing out and highs only 28. I'll know if the stuff is working when i clean the stove one last time this end of season. I have four sticks at 2 dollars each,, if I notice results looking down from the top when I wire clean.. it is worth using but if it looks the same , I'll not buy the stuff again. Even the instructions say ,, "it may remove creosote build up.. I try it and post a rating here too in a few weeks or so.
Old March 13, 2014   #38
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just have to tell this story.

Many years ago I knew some people that built a new home.
They had a fireplace built.
The contractor or what would pass for one didn't use fire brick or refractory cement.
The house burned to the ground in less than two years.

The fireplace just crumbled and burned the whole house down.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2014   #39
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnjjohn View Post
I think you are right too,, i am going to try one but the tube is plastic and instructions said not to remove the stuff from the tube,, the only problem with that is my woodstove has a catalyst wafer and my stove instructions are to avoid burning plastic.. what i figure after buying a few tubes,, is dump the stuff on a long half moon of dry bark and than put it on the amber,, I'll do that tomorrow during the day,, it is freezing out and highs only 28. I'll know if the stuff is working when i clean the stove one last time this end of season. I have four sticks at 2 dollars each,, if I notice results looking down from the top when I wire clean.. it is worth using but if it looks the same , I'll not buy the stuff again. Even the instructions say ,, "it may remove creosote build up.. I try it and post a rating here too in a few weeks or so.
not sure what you are burning or why but if you want your chimney cleaned get it done right! have a sweep do the job vs some $2 fix. just my 2 cents.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2014   #40
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

exactlyone must know how to install repair maintain a quality wood burner.. I would not recommend it for the citiots or those that have no clue of wood stove safety etc.
Old April 9, 2014   #41
tjcnok
Tomatovillian™

An old 13" car tire works pretty good. Two of them stacked and bolted to each other is better than one.
tjcnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014   #42
tecolote
Tomatovillian™

I find beer to be an excellent tool for solving problems. Unfortunately, by then, I am unable to see the source of the problem.
tecolote is offline   Reply With Quote