Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 5, 2006   #1
million
Tomatovillian™

Default Seedling problems

I am having problems with many of my tomato seedlings that I've never encountered before. The underside of the leaves are predominantly purple with the worst of the bunch having what appear to be purple spots as well as slight yellowing between the veins when you look from above. Upon closer inspection with a loop, the "spots" are more along the lines of purple droplets that have gathered ay the base of the hairs. To me, it doesn't look like any of the blight or spot diseases that I can find but I have never really encountered many problems with tomatoes firsthand. My eggplants and peppers are growing with the tomato seedlings and seem to be unaffected. I am in a different place than I was last year and the house stays on the cooler side. Because of this, I have noticed fairly slow growth as compared to other years but this is the only thing I can come up with as a possible cause. I did consider that it may be a phosphorus deficiency but fed one of the plants a high phosphorus food and over three days, it has not shown any real change. I'm a novice grower and still have a lot to learn. Any help is greatly appreciated. I grow heirloom varieties and I'd hate to lose these plants. Thanks!
million is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I totall ignore seedlings with purple leaves and/or stems, and I do that b'c once they're planted out they do fine, and b'c it's too difficult most times to know exactly what the problem might be as to a minreal deficnieny, a mix pH problem, etc.

yes, it could be a P deficiency, especially if they are being grown on the cool side, b'c uptake thru the roots is not good. Feeding more P via the roots won't help. If it really bothers you then use a dilute fish or seaweed prep and foliar feed, which then bypasses root uptake.

And it could be some other deficinecy as well. But fish and seaweed preps have lots of micronutrients that will usually make the seedlings green up, if it really does bother you.
Old April 5, 2006   #3
million
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

It isn't so much the purple leaves or stem that bothers me... it's the purple "droplets" at the base of the hairs on the leaves and the yellowing between the veins that has me concerned. I sort of assumed the leaves had turned purple because they were stressed. My concern is that I have some sort of bacteria that could wipe everything out before or after I plant in the garden and would prefer to take early preventative measures. Have you ever seen these specific issues?
Old April 5, 2006   #4
tanagerzoo
Tomatovillian™

I get what you describe every year including this year. I just admire the pretty purple color ... and do nothing. Within a few days of being planted outside, they green up and take off.

Christine
tanagerzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

My concern is that I have some sort of bacteria that could wipe everything out before or after I plant in the garden and would prefer to take early preventative measures. Have you ever seen these specific issues?

Million,

I'm a retired Microbiologist. The day I take a loop to look at the micro life of my tomato seedlings will be news to me and many who know me.

I doubt very much that bacteria that would give purple droplets at the base of plant hairs. There are darn few bacteria that have purple pigment and they wouldn't be found growing on tomato plants, in my opinion, b'c of their bizarre nutritional needs.

Honest, I think everything will be fine.

And I do think you'll feel better giving them a dilute spray of fish or seaweed to bypass root uptake b'c I can see that you really are very worried about them, and I do understand.

I think those of us who have been growing tomato seedlings for so many years tend to be a bit more laid back, more cavalier, I don't know how to say it, about our seedlings, in that regard.

And I looked at all my typos in the post I did above, but am just too darn lazy to go back and edit.
Old April 5, 2006   #6
million
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much. You're right, I've been concerned. I've only been doing this for a few years and obviously have a lot to learn. I'll just relax an let them do their thing. I can't wait to get them outside (a little while away for me... I still have snow on the ground!!)