Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 10, 2018   #16
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

3 early ones I'm growing again this season:

0-33
Fireworks
Cole
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018   #17
bower
Tomatovillian™

You can find a group of Saraev varieties at Tania's - Tatiana's Tomatobase. I haven't grown them yet myself.

Cold Set and Siletz are both very small plants suitable for growing under a 4 ft hoop. They weren't that early for me but they certainly set in cool weather and tolerated a few cold nights. Fruit taste was quite decent for both of them - but split like crazy. Jagodka is also a very small plant, pretty small fruit for me and very tart in cool weather, if you like that 'lemon substitute' thing. (Why not, lemons are expensive!)
There are many many early determinate reds out there, suitable for a 4 ft hoop. Small ones will fit for sure, and even a medium sized determinate may be okay if it's really cool - this makes them stay more compact for sure. OTOH it may be warm in that hoop!

If I were you I'd follow Vladimir's advice and try the ones that are seriously cold tolerant.

For me, both Stupice and Moravsky Div would be considered quite tolerant of cool weather, they are really reliable for us and set a great load at daytime highs between 60-70 F, slower setting but not bothered by colder days where the high is 50-59 F. But they are indeterminate so a 4ft hoop is not really suitable.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018   #18
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
Looking at the list again on tomato growers, I see NEW BIG DWARF. The two foot size and determinate looks promising. But is it sufficiently cold hardy???
Nbd for me is quite a large dwarf plant, about 4 feet and late mid season
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018   #19
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
If you don’t mind a tart tomato, silvery fir tree is very early and also attractive
KarenO
I agree, I grew it last year in a bucket and was very pleased with it. Quite productive too.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018   #20
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
wow. many new to me varieties. 19 early varieties--but each different.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018   #21
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
3 early ones I'm growing again this season:

0-33
Fireworks
Cole
How early do you set these out? ANd at what size? What type of protection?
Old January 10, 2018   #22
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
BK, my Matina was about 3'-4' tall. Mine was growing in not much soil.

Nan
Definitely short compared to most tomatoes.
Old January 10, 2018   #23
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
wow. many new to me varieties. 19 early varieties--but each different.
yep and grown organically for market, which typically translates well since most home gardeners don't spray poisons on their plants, similar climate too which is more important than most realize.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018   #24
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
If you don’t mind a tart tomato, silvery fir tree is very early and also attractive
KarenO

I looked this one up on Tantiana's. Pretty delicate foliate, fern like. And only 18" tall. More folks should be growing this as an edible ornamental !!
Old January 10, 2018   #25
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Nbd for me is quite a large dwarf plant, about 4 feet and late mid season
KarenO
lol

Funny how the same seed can grow to different heights in a different garden. I noticed my Better Boy did not become huge like Mr wilbers, with some thought figured his were not neglected and received lots of pruning and fertilizing.

All my plants were shorter than expected; and all in new beds. SHallow beds with 50% composted manure and a drought summer.
Old January 10, 2018   #26
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
yep and grown organically for market, which typically translates well since most home gardeners don't spray poisons on their plants, similar climate too which is more important than most realize.
I have come to value organic methods. Plants are stronger and healther per several knowledgeable people.

Not all seed is alike. There is value in generations of growing organically and selecting seed year over year.

Last edited by Black Krim; January 10, 2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old January 10, 2018   #27
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

I see some early varieties are parthenogenic-----the bees will not be buzzing and under hoop house not likely to get in to visit....
Old January 10, 2018   #28
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
You can find a group of Saraev varieties at Tania's - Tatiana's Tomatobase. I haven't grown them yet myself.

Cold Set and Siletz are both very small plants suitable for growing under a 4 ft hoop. They weren't that early for me but they certainly set in cool weather and tolerated a few cold nights. Fruit taste was quite decent for both of them - but split like crazy. Jagodka is also a very small plant, pretty small fruit for me and very tart in cool weather, if you like that 'lemon substitute' thing. (Why not, lemons are expensive!)
There are many many early determinate reds out there, suitable for a 4 ft hoop. Small ones will fit for sure, and even a medium sized determinate may be okay if it's really cool - this makes them stay more compact for sure. OTOH it may be warm in that hoop!

If I were you I'd follow Vladimir's advice and try the ones that are seriously cold tolerant.

For me, both Stupice and Moravsky Div would be considered quite tolerant of cool weather, they are really reliable for us and set a great load at daytime highs between 60-70 F, slower setting but not bothered by colder days where the high is 50-59 F. But they are indeterminate so a 4ft hoop is not really suitable.

The struggle to grow and produce in the cold is a real issue. The hoop house is not large enough to hold the temps well overnight. Looking at the long list of Saraev varieties is amazing---the breeder has been diligently breeding for a very long time. Looking thru the list will take some time.
Old January 10, 2018   #29
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

As no one has mentioned polar baby I did a quick google search and found a seed seller with this: Plant Height: 48 to 60” tall. Funny how I had imagined this to be only a 2 foot pant. Gotta love the web.
Old January 10, 2018   #30
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Silvery fern tree

58 days. Solanum lycopersicum. Open Pollinated. Early maturing plant produces heavy yields of 4 to 6 oz red tomatoes. They are very flavorful. Perfect for salads and slicing. The plant has fuzzy fern like leaves. It make a very attractive patio tomato plant. Also good for hanging baskets. Excellent choice for home gardens. A heirloom variety from Russia. Determinate. Certified Organic. (reimer seeds)