Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old February 17, 2013   #1
momato
Tomatovillian™

Default solexx greenhouse

I purchased this greenhouse 3 years ago.i would like to remove all the shelving from the greenhouse and I like to put in raised bed in there. I am worried its going to hurt the structural integrity. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this.its a 12x8 greenhouse.
thanks
moe
momato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2013   #2
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Hey Moe,

I can’t respond directly to your question but this youtube video shows a solexx greenhouse being built with no benches. Hope this helps.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV_t9wJPf-w
Old February 20, 2013   #3
momato
Tomatovillian™

I called solexx they told me on my model they haven't tried it before ithink im going to remove one side of it.i was wondering if any body has done this before
thanks
moe
Old February 23, 2013   #4
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I don't own a greenhouse (wish I did), but I would think that whatever you take away from one side, should also be taken away from the other side to prevent any pressure on the structure one way or another. I could be wrong though.

I am not a carpenter, nor do I pretend to be one on TV lol...
Old February 24, 2013   #5
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Looking at this one I think you are going to have two factors taking the shelves out. The first is that you are going to reduce the weight of the structure a lot. If it isn't already I'd make sure it is well anchored.

The second one I see is you are going to reduce the rigidity of the structure. This is particularly so if the wire shelving is fastened to the framework underneath. Will it be enough to matter. I don't know. Since the covering is fairly flexible, wind is going to tend to pull the arches together. I can't find any specs on any of the frame tubing.

If I was doing this I'd, at a minimum, tie the ends into the raised beds and run a piece of something front to back at the height of the higher shelf along the arches. I'd fasten it to each arch. The trouble is you aren't going to find out that you took to much stuff out of the insides until you get a really bad wind and it collapses or the cumulative effect of increased movement shortens it's life. I'd like to see Worth express his opinion here.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2013   #6
momato
Tomatovillian™

I might just live with it as is.thanks for everyones input.
thanks
moe