Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old October 23, 2006   #1
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Default What makes a fingerling?

I would like to be educated. I get my seed potatoes from the local co-op, usually. They normally have three selections, a red, a white and a yellow. The whites are what I'm looking for re: other thread about dry potatoes. I really love new reds and am trying to develop a palate for the yellows. So what makes a fingerling a fingerling? How do you prepare them? Thanks for your patience with my questions
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2006   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I’m not for sure what makes a fingerling but I think the best way to cook them is.
Set them out on a pan and spread olive oil on them EVO with fresh cracked black pepper then spread a little kosher salt on top.
When they are about done, (about 15 min before hand) put some fresh sprigs of EVO dipped rosemary in the mix.

Serve with fried squirrel or rabbet with good curly mustard greens on the side.

Have salads made with tomatoes and good cucumber (not the burp less ones) splashed with EVO and vinegar with fresh black cracked pepper before the meal.

See what you can start with the potato.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2006   #3
landarc
Tomatovillian™

Trout make fingerlings.

To me, a fingerling is a potato that is small and elongated, often with the appearance of having several segments. They also should be the size of a finger, essentially.

I like them for roasting. They are also nice for steaming and then coarsely chop them, toss them into a pan with some onion, bell peppers and olives, spend some frying time and you have some nice cottage fries. Add some chorizo or corned beef and you have a nice hash.

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote