Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 11, 2018   #76
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Ted, thanks for microscope pics, that is telling!
I agree at the end of the day, all I need is one plant of each requested seeds to grow out, and so far it has been a success!
Am growing Rubinka now and have had very uniform great germination. By no means I am complaining! Many thanks for opportunity!
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018   #77
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

from my post above

(There's another one I might find sometime,it's again about roller damage. I sent two packs of the same exact seeds,one was padded and one was not.I sent them to many folks in the US in a regular small business envelope,and sent them to folks I knew who lived in large cities,but had backyards where they grew their tomatoes and other stuff and I also sent them to folks who lived in rural areas as well.

And about 80% of them got back to me with results.)

Thinking about that,yes sometimes I do think,there wouldn't be any thread here at Tville to look for and here's why.

When I was doing my seed offers by myself I would save the envelopes sent back to me from folks in the US, well also the non US ones as well,but they were asked to send me an e-mail with their requests. And the US ones had their return addresses on them.

I sent back with the seeds the request lists with backups always and saved those empty envelopes until the seed offer was closed and did that since there were almost always others who said they didn't get their seeds and why not.

And I could easily check to see if they had sent me their requests.

Sometimes yes, and sometimes no.

Or I would get a PM after the offer was closed saying well,some were very inventive

I was in the hospital
I couldn't get to the PO
I had no envelopes of the size you asked for.

The dog ate my envelopes,just kidding on that one. But I'll tell you the imagination of some folks deserves medium rare congratulations.

The absolute two best ones were when I was listing several hundreds of varieties in the SSE Annual yearbook.

I started out listing my home phone number as well as my e-mail address,but I gave up that pretty darn quickly for several reasons,and gave just a home address.

One person said she/he had no stamps,but was sending a Holy Medal and said she/he was sure I could sell it and that would cover the cost of stamps.

The other person sent me an envelope with ONE penny stamp,said had no more but with the request in the envelope had sent seeds and said they were from some tomatoes bought at the local grocery store,no info given.

Carolyn
Old May 15, 2018   #78
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Over the years,in the trades,some doozies.
Traffic( the same each day)
One guy had 5 dead grandmas,two or three g fathers.
Forgot to set clock foward,not back,hour “late” but on time!
Forgot to charge phone.Could not return email,message,etc.
Could not call,no phone,what happened to the phone at home?
Most of these occur on Monday mornings,never payday back when you got a check,and had to cash it at the bank.No Atm,no i phone,only seven digits then.
No change for telephone,the one you put coins in,after your grid goes down,thats almost a viable excuse.
Thanx that i am somewhat,semi retarded oops retired i mean.
Sound familiar?
Old June 19, 2018   #79
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

I asked for two varieties - Malinovaya Zebra and Honey and Sugar. The Honey and Sugar did not germinate. I had better luck with the MZs, and am growing several of those plants. I sowed every seed of both varieties. This was the first year I asked for so few varieties and I'm sorry I did that. I am, however, looking forward to my Malinovaya Zebras!!!

Thank you!

PS, I would LOVE to try the Honey and Sugar again, if possible. The name gets me excited

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018   #80
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarieNJ View Post
I asked for two varieties - Malinovaya Zebra and Honey and Sugar. The Honey and Sugar did not germinate. I had better luck with the MZs, and am growing several of those plants. I sowed every seed of both varieties. This was the first year I asked for so few varieties and I'm sorry I did that. I am, however, looking forward to my Malinovaya Zebras!!!

Thank you!

PS, I would LOVE to try the Honey and Sugar again, if possible. The name gets me excited
Donna,I went through this whole thread and with few exceptions,and this was dicussed a lot, germination was not that great.

As was stated at the top,NO seeds,with two exceptions ,were over two years old, and Honey and Sugar was not one of the exceptions.

Rather than contacting Shawn,please send me a PM since I have some 2016 seeds still here, they were produced by Bill M in WI.

It seems rather late to be starting seeds now in NJ, but PM me and give me your home address and I'll try to get them out to you in the next few days.

Carolyn
Old June 27, 2018   #81
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Default Malinovaya Zebra

What is the leaf type on this? I checked online and came up with this site, which, when translated states, I think, "regular." http://xn--66-glceumybat.xn--p1ai/ho...aya-zebra.html

However, all of my plants look very much like potato leaf. Are my plants correct?

Old June 28, 2018   #82
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What is the leaf type on this? I checked online and came up with this site, which, when translated states, I think, "regular." http://xn--66-glceumybat.xn--p1ai/ho...aya-zebra.html

However, all of my plants look very much like potato leaf. Are my plants correct?
The original source for this variety was Marina in Russia,whom I know very well and have for many years.Her English is excellent,she and her husband moved to the US for a few years,he was an engineer on some project in I think Florida.

Let's move forward now.

Marina was my source for this variety,the seeds were sent in those tiny ziplok plastic bags, so not much room to write anything other than the name.

When I asked her to clarify some of the labels, she had sent many new varieties,here is what she wrote about this variety,this from my databook where I keep ALL my data.

Malinovaya Zebra,tricolor,some striping possible, and either PL's or RL's may show up.

And as I recall when that variety was offered in a seed offer that same info was also given.

A couple of questions.

Did you get this variety from the Carolyn/Shawn 2018 seed offer and see the traits listed for it?

You say you got a PL plant. How many plants of it did you put out?

This is not the only variety that can show two traits,whether they be leaf form or fruit shape or fruit color.Marina got Indian Stripe,from one of my seed offers, there were others who thought they had a heart version,they were comparing grow outs with each other,but it was Marina who got THE best heart, and she grew it out for several years to be sure it was stable and then sent me seeds. And just last week I came across one of the bags of seed she sent,there have to be at least 500 seeds in there.

Yes, I did read your link, but nowhere was any mention of leaf form that I could find. If I'm wrong ,perhaps your Russian is much better than mine,please tell me where to find any leaf form mentioned.

I hope I've cleared up the situation for you.

Carolyn
Old June 28, 2018   #83
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes, I did read your link, but nowhere was any mention of leaf form that I could find. If I'm wrong ,perhaps your Russian is much better than mine,please tell me where to find any leaf form mentioned.
On her given link page, look at the first column, third line down
Тип листа translates to "Sheet type" which I assume is a google iffy translation for leaf type. The second column next to it says Обычный (регулярный) which translates to Regular.

Perhaps one of our several native Russian speakers can verify this.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2018   #84
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Yes, that was my guess, also.

Old June 28, 2018   #85
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I mentioned them above in post 79 - that I asked for and received Honey and Sugar and the MZs and the Honey and Sugar did not germinate. I got both from Shawn, and you told me not to mention the Honey and Sugar to Shawn.

Old June 28, 2018   #86
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Carolyn, I mentioned them above in post 79 - that I asked for and received Honey and Sugar and the MZs and the Honey and Sugar did not germinate. I got both from Shawn, and you told me not to mention the Honey and Sugar to Shawn.
Let's review here.

You posted in the 2018 germination thread about not being able to germinate those seeds.

I answered you and said that I still had some Honey and Sugar seeds still here at home so no need ( I did not say not to mention to Shawn as you just did) to contact Shawn,since the seed offer was closed at that point. And then noted it would be too late for you to start from seed in NJ,you agreed.

I said I'd sent them anyway. I then asked you to PM me your home address and you did,I wrote it down somewhere here by the computer but don't know where right now,but still in my PM's if I need it.

So please tell me what you want me to do now.

Carolyn, who just checked her PM's and yes you are in Bloomfield.
Old June 28, 2018   #87
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

I'm so confused Did I post in the wrong thread? I apologize if I did.

Either way, yes PLEASE, I would love the Honey and Sugar seeds. And I DO live in Bloomfield. Would you like me to send you an SASE? I have your address somewhere. I will happily start them in March!

I can taste them already! And my MZs are no where near producing fruit yet!

Old June 29, 2018   #88
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm so confused Did I post in the wrong thread? I apologize if I did.

Either way, yes PLEASE, I would love the Honey and Sugar seeds. And I DO live in Bloomfield. Would you like me to send you an SASE? I have your address somewhere. I will happily start them in March!

I can taste them already! And my MZs are no where near producing fruit yet!
No, I don't need an SASE,thanks anyway.

You said you wanted Honey and Sugar b/c you liked sweet varieties,and here's what Bill wrote about it,it's seeds that I have.

Indet, RL, 8-16 oz golden fruits with pink blush,high yields, Vg to exc taste.

Nothing about sweet at all,which is understandable to me since not all who taste the same variety agree on taste at all.I used to do tomato tastings and I would supply some of the fruits,others brought different fruits. And then I passed out evaluation sheets.

Which clearly showed that when rating one variety there was a huge range of opinions and the variables involved are many.

Take Sakarny Slon,for instance. Sakarny from the Russian means Sugary, Slon means elephant,so we have Sugary Elephant.

I could name several other varieties with words related to sweetness as well,but are not usually sweet at all to most folks.

I have just two sets of seeds to send out,yours and the 6 mystery ones, and then it's time off for me since I have a 6 mo extension on both State and Fed taxes to get done,that's not easy for me to do.

And then, then, I'll get to my coloring books and my real new books,etc.,

Carolyn
Old July 24, 2018   #89
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Did I miss harvest report?
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018   #90
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
Did I miss harvest report?
No, you didn't.

Seeds were sent to folks in many countries that have different temps, etc, so I usually put up the Fall Report in late September/early to mid October.

Carolyn