Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old June 17, 2015   #1
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Default Fig tree in MA

I want to plant one or more fig trees. I plan to keep them in container first 1-3 years until the tree gets large enough and then plant it in ground.

My goal is to have enough (100+) tasty/ripe figs every season. I am ready to work and wait for 3-5 years to reach that goal. I will also be taking any efforts needed to winterize the tree. (move the container to unheated garage in the container stage and once in ground, wrap it up during winter

So does anyone in new england (zones 5a-5b) have a fig tree? What variety would you suggest? I am looking at hardy chicago, celeste

If you have a great tasting/successful fig tree in this region, would you be able to share cuttings? Is that the best way to propagate a fig tree?

Starlight, it just so happens that I have been thinking about planting a fig tree for last couple of weeks. Since our zones are quite different, I decided to start a new thread

Last edited by tnkrer; June 17, 2015 at 11:53 AM.
tnkrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #2
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Lowes is advertizing 3.25 gallon fig tree (celeste) for $10. But don't know if they sell that in MA
tnkrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #3
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I have a Chicago Hardy (bought in a 1gallon) frome Lowes 3 yrs ago and its thriving this year in a selfwatering container (it did super poorly last year when it wasn’t in a self-watering container.)
I have a bunch of sticks that I’m growing this year as well.
If you haven’t found it, make your way to the forum over at Figs4Fun. There was actually a thread on there recently about the top 5 recommendations for northern climates – I remember Chicago hardy and also VDB (Violette de Bordeaux) which is one of the ones I have started as a twig.

I am no fig expert but it seems to me tht its easier to root twigs after a dormancy instead of green growing twigs...

Last edited by luigiwu; June 17, 2015 at 11:29 PM.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnkrer View Post
Lowes is advertizing 3.25 gallon fig tree (celeste) for $10. But don't know if they sell that in MA

Really and just as I have to head north.

I'm going to cut something down in the front yard just so I can grow this one or maybe more.

I think I have the place picked out.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #5
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnkrer View Post
I want to plant one or more fig trees. I plan to keep them in container first 1-3 years until the tree gets large enough and then plant it in ground.

My goal is to have enough (100+) tasty/ripe figs every season. I am ready to work and wait for 3-5 years to reach that goal. I will also be taking any efforts needed to winterize the tree. (move the container to unheated garage in the container stage and once in ground, wrap it up during winter

So does anyone in new england (zones 5a-5b) have a fig tree? What variety would you suggest? I am looking at hardy chicago, celeste

If you have a great tasting/successful fig tree in this region, would you be able to share cuttings? Is that the best way to propagate a fig tree?

Starlight, it just so happens that I have been thinking about planting a fig tree for last couple of weeks. Since our zones are quite different, I decided to start a new thread
Yep, our zones are just a tad bit different. Glad you started a thread for the North too. Hopefully , lots of suggestions will be made for you and other folks in that zone.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2015   #6
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

This is how I fig in Zone7.
SIP = subirrigated planter (like everything else I do.)
This way when it goes dormant in the winter, I can take it into my (unheated) garage.
Its loaded right now.

Old July 20, 2015   #7
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Guy in Roslindale grows them for sale.
I got an unscratched itch to go pick up a couple.
http://www.figtrees.net/
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2015   #8
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
Guy in Roslindale grows them for sale.
I got an unscratched itch to go pick up a couple.
http://www.figtrees.net/

I look at his site a couple of times a year, but have yet to pursue it. Not sure I'm ready to take on the task of trying to keep it alive through the winter season. My dad has been successfully growing fig trees for decades in MA, both inground and more recently in containers. The inground trees get well wrapped and the containers are hauled to the semi-heated basement for the winter.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote