Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 30, 2010   #1
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Default Leggy

My summer was a tomato travesty. First the deer pruned all my lovely plants way down when they were about two feet tall and already had flowers.

I figured out how to fend off the deer (Milorganite and Deer Off).

So all but one plant came back. But they were phenomenally leggy. Octopus-on-adrenaline leggy! There were only a few tomatoes, and most were small.

I'm baffled by the legginess. They were all in full sun.

The eggplant got a little out of control too, come to think of it.

I'm wondering if it had to do with the soil. The plot was previously owned by a man who sold things at a farmers' market. The soil is very dark and soft, easy to turn over. He grew spearmint, among other things.

Might there be too much of something in the soil? Or..? I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Christine
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2010   #2
tedln

Most plants I've seen pruned low by animals come back kinda bushy instead of leggy. Leggy usually indicates low light, but you have already answered that. My guess would be an over abundance of nitrogen in the soil. Excessive nitrogen in my garden usually results in tall plants with a lot of space between fruit sets.

I think excessive nitrogen will simply flash off with time, wear off with successive plantings, or flush off with multiple rains. You can deplete nitrogen from soil by mixing in some fresh sawdust or wood chips. I don't like to do that because it is easy to go the opposite direction and have a nitrogen shortage.

That is only a guess. Someone else may have a better answer.

Ted
Old October 31, 2010   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It also could be pour soil without enough nutrients available. I occasionally let a volunteer grow up on my fence where it is not tilled and enriched in any way and they are always very leggy and pale.
Have you added compost and manures to your soil? Have you had a soil test?
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2010   #4
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Soil Testing link recommended by bohica Then you'll really know what might be the cause and find a workable solution for next season. Let me know if you need anything special for next years tomato planting.

http://www.al-labs-west.com/sections/anservices

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2010   #5
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Thank you George, that's a good idea. I'll look into it. I did get a few good, orange KBXes!

Christine
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2010   #6
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

might also be due to high nitrogen content present in the soil or amendments?
franzb69 is offline   Reply With Quote