Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old September 1, 2013   #1
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Question Need Recomendation

Can anyone recommend any recent(released within last 5 years) commercial hybrids that are decent tasting and very productive?
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2013   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Dusty, Big Boy and Better Boy have been out for longer than you say, but those two and Big Beef are definitely commercially shaped and will produce a lot of fruit. If left to ripen on the vine (at least to very good blushing), they will also deliver excellent taste. Off the vine, they will average about 10 ounces or so. They also keep well for most folks who will put them in the Fridge to extend home storage time.

If you need a yellow, take a hard look at Lemon Boy. Same production and size as the three above. Taste is typical for a yellow, but with a tiny bit of "zing" in the background.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2013   #3
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ted. I've grown Early Girl, Big Boy, Better Boy, and Big Beef years ago, but I haven't kept up with any of the newer releases. I put Lemon Boy on the list to try. Thanks for your input!
Old September 1, 2013   #4
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Burpees "Big Mama"...I liked this tomato so much I stabilized it and have grown it for 5-6 years. Loaded with up to 1 pound thick, meaty fruit few seeds. GREAT for drying or sauce. First (along with Russo Sicilian Togeta) to ripen in my Wyoming garden. Plants put on a ton of fruit, even in crappy weather.

EASY to stabilize...fruit are very uniform. On top of that, great taste for eating as well as drying or sauce (many sauce/drying toms are lousy fresh...) This is the only hybrid I ever grew (My Son bought the seeds) and I was pretty impressed with it all the way around.
Old September 1, 2013   #5
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Hi brokenbar. Thank you for your excellent suggestion. I'm putting it on the list to try. Nice to see you posting more often lately!
Old September 1, 2013   #6
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Plum Regal is a very recent hybrid which Has some blight tolerance built into it. It is a production machine. Easily gave me 2X the harvest weight of any other plant in my garden including Big Beef.

The caveat is that I didn't care for the taste fresh, or in a sauce.
However, the production possibility alone warrants trying this one in your garden to see if the taste is more to your liking.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2013   #7
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Plum Regal is a very recent hybrid which Has some blight tolerance built into it. It is a production machine. Easily gave me 2X the harvest weight of any other plant in my garden including Big Beef.

However, the production possibility alone warrants trying this one in your garden to see if the taste is more to your liking.

Lee
I am home bound with a kidney stone..I am miserable and cranky so my husband went on a 4 day fishing trip...I find myself having time on the computer I usually don't.
Old September 1, 2013   #8
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Park's Whopper (been around longer than 5 years) is very productive. I can't speak to the taste because I planted it late. The plant is loaded and the tomatoes should be ripening any day now. It appears to be very popular as evidenced by the number of big box stores that sell it in the Spring.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2013   #9
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
Can anyone recommend any recent(released within last 5 years) commercial hybrids that are decent tasting and very productive?
BHN 444
Juliet
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2013   #10
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Another variety I forgot in my previous post is Improved Gurney Girl II (also has been around longer than 5 years). It has probably been 10 - 12 years since I last grew it, but it was very productive and at that time, I thought it was one of the better tasting hybrid tomatoes.

http://www.gurneys.com/product/impro...omato/Tomatoes
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2013   #11
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Celebrity F1 - determinate with great disease resistance.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2013   #12
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Sorry - Celebrity was from the 1980s, not the past 5 years.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2013   #13
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post

Lee
Hi Lee.

I tried Plum Regal and thought the taste was so-so. I know taste varies from year to year due to weather, but I don't plan on retrying it anytime soon. Thanks for taking the time to make a suggestion!
Old September 2, 2013   #14
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0820 View Post
Park's Whopper (been around longer than 5 years) is very productive. I can't speak to the taste because I planted it late. The plant is loaded and the tomatoes should be ripening any day now. It appears to be very popular as evidenced by the number of big box stores that sell it in the Spring.
Hi Mark.

Park's Whopper has been around for ages! I tried it back when I was growing Better Boy and Early Girl. At that time I preferred the Burpee tomatoes. I hope you get a bountiful harvest! Thanks for your input.
Old September 2, 2013   #15
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keger View Post
BHN 444
Juliet
Hi Keger.

I'll have to read up on your suggestions. Can you expand a bit and tell me why you like these two varieties? Thanks!