Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 19, 2016   #16
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I can my chutney finish it off in a water bath which is perfectly safe as the acid balance is fine and it keeps for years. I am by the way VERY particular about canning, in fact I get myself into trouble all the time telling folks they are out of date and taking chanced LOL

Anyway here it is.

NANA FAIRFIELD'S GREEN TOMATO CHUTNEY

You will need, apples, green tomatoes ,onions, sultanas or raisins, sugar, vinegar,
salt ,nutmeg ,curry powder,(an over the counter one will do if you don't make your own)

You will also need vinegar I use malt if I can and pickling spices. Or you an use the already made perfumed vinegar if you have it.

Chop, everything, don't grind it,but crush the garlic.

Then to every 3 cups of chopped tomatoes add...
3 cups chopped apples
3 cups copped onions
1 cup sultanas or raisins
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 1/2 cups malt vinegar
1/4 cup of pickling spices tied in a muslin square
if you have the already made vinegar use 1 1'/2 cups of that and leave out the spices

Put as many batches as you have measured for in a large pan except for the apples and raisins, pop them in a bit later when the onions are stating to soften so they don't break down .

Simmer gently till everything is soft and there is less liquid

You want to be able to recognize what is in it so don't overcook it the liquid will be mostly absorbed and what is there will be syrupy .Place in sterilized proper canning jars and water bath for 15 minutes.

Then to make the best UK PUB GRUB sandwich called a Ploughmans

No butter on the bread but mayo both sides, then chutney boht sides ,fill with chopped crisp lettuce, thin sliced cucumber, thin sliced tomato, very thin sliced red onion and grated very sharp cheddar cheese. I have yet to find a Canadian or US cheese to match the UK strong cheddar, here can get imported ones. I find the others use a flavoring to "improve" the age of cheese, which isn't used in the UK.. but I think it just may be whatever you are used to

Great sandwich, oh and it goes great with cold cuts, any cheese plate and especially with curries

XX Jeannine

Last edited by Jeannine Anne; April 19, 2016 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2016   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine.
I got into a discussion about American made cheese with a guy that swore by Tillamook or what ever that stuff is.
Not to just spout my mouth off I bought him some Kerrygold aged cheese and some other stuff from out of this country.
I bought enough for him and also for his wife at home to try.
After he came back to work he told me, "my wife and I hate you we cant eat the other cheese now.
When I tell someone something is better I buy it for them and let them try it.
I have always been this way.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2016   #18
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Oh Well done Worth.. the education of a potential cheese gourmet, I love it.

I was very surprised to find out some years ago that there is an ingredient that can give cheese an aged taste when it is not. I have tried all I can to find a extra old cheddar here but they all have that slightly bitter flavor. The texture is more rubbery too.

Costco is good, I can buy a few there.. Dubliner, Miners and another one simply called Coastal which they describe as a rugged cheddar.

I buy many different cheeses from all over the world including some Us ones but for cheddar it has to be imported fr me.

I used to buy blocks of extra old Tillamook every time I crossed the border as it was much cheaper than anything this side. It was great for mac cheese, toasted cheese sandwiches with a bit of worcester sauce added,and cheese sauce for cauliflower etc but not as a stand alone cheese.

XX Jeannine
Old April 19, 2016   #19
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Thank you SO much for the recipes, Jeannine. I can't wait to try a Ploughmans!
Old April 19, 2016   #20
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Luigi, I have a few recipes that I really should share, I am getting on and I have few I have never shared with anyone..like my Grand Marnier Marmalade Jelly. my Mum's Chestnut Stuffing for the neck end of the turkey, or maybe my "Maple Cream Sticky Buns ..to Die For.. all my Mums homemade Mincemeeat, Christmas puddings and Christmas Cake, her English Pork pie.. and all her wartime recipes making something out of nothing with really odd meats.When I pop off they will die too..Maybe I should do something with them. You have made me think.
Old April 19, 2016   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
Luigi, I have a few recipes that I really should share, I am getting on and I have few I have never shared with anyone..like my Grand Marnier Marmalade Jelly. my Mum's Chestnut Stuffing for the neck end of the turkey, or maybe my "Maple Cream Sticky Buns ..to Die For.. all my Mums homemade Mincemeeat, Christmas puddings and Christmas Cake, her English Pork pie.. and all her wartime recipes making something out of nothing with really odd meats.When I pop off they will die too..Maybe I should do something with them. You have made me think.
There is an English butcher on youtube that does a really good job with some of this old school stuff.
I was in the store today in the meat department.
An older African American lady was next to me and we were talking about the meats and how the price of ox tails had went up.
One thing led to another and she gave me a fantastic complement.
She told me I was old school.
It is one thing to be called that by a kid but another to be called that by an older person.
You really should start a thread in the recipes section for all of us to enjoy.
Worth
Old April 19, 2016   #22
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Aren't recipes meant to be shared? Can I bribe you for them?
"Really odd meats" are making a come back these days - people are coming around to delicious and nutritious things like liver and heart are! I am on that band wagon!
If you aren't inclined to set up a blog to document your recipes, I would highly encourage you to post them here at least (is that allowed if they don't have tomatoes in them?)
Old April 19, 2016   #23
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Arugala... ugh! I just can't stand it.
Old April 19, 2016   #24
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Arugala... ugh! I just can't stand it.
what! that's crazy talk! LOL! thats the green I love most as salads!
Old April 19, 2016   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
Aren't recipes meant to be shared? Can I bribe you for them?
"Really odd meats" are making a come back these days - people are coming around to delicious and nutritious things like liver and heart are! I am on that band wagon!
If you aren't inclined to set up a blog to document your recipes, I would highly encourage you to post them here at least (is that allowed if they don't have tomatoes in them?)
I put stuff up without tomatoes all of the time.
I would say 90% of the time.

Worth
Old April 19, 2016   #26
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
what! that's crazy talk! LOL! thats the green I love most as salads!
Give me beets anyday.
Old April 19, 2016   #27
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

My beet secret...
Get a whole bunch of radish seeds..
Get a whole bunch of beet seeds...
Mix them together, plant in 2 foot wide rows
Weed accordingly,
About the time you are picking radishes, you will see the beets sprouting...
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #28
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I will post them but not just now, I am going to get them in s me sort of order as many are scribbled on scraps of paper, I will try to make them into some sort of a booklet, then do something with it,, but you might find some really weird stuff in there..like tripe,or a version of head cheese, plus of course Yorkshire curd cakes and rockbuns, kedgeree etc etc and a sceamingly good genuine Yorkshiire Pudding, oh and not to forget green tomato sweet pie and zuchinni sweet pie too.

I will give it my best shot through the summer so if anyone wants to use any for Christmas they can.
Old April 20, 2016   #29
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
I will post them but not just now, I am going to get them in s me sort of order as many are scribbled on scraps of paper, I will try to make them into some sort of a booklet, then do something with it,, but you might find some really weird stuff in there..like tripe,or a version of head cheese, plus of course Yorkshire curd cakes and rockbuns, kedgeree etc etc and a sceamingly good genuine Yorkshiire Pudding, oh and not to forget green tomato sweet pie and zuchinni sweet pie too.

I will give it my best shot through the summer so if anyone wants to use any for Christmas they can.
Yay! I am so glad. This is the kind of thing you need to write down so the recipes arn't lost, but not everyone can do it. I wish I had my grandmothers recipe book. I am not certain who has it if it is still around. My MIL's umm, I can't read it. Some of it is in serbian. and the writing is too spidery...light, hard to read..faded? just sad.
Old April 20, 2016   #30
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Ive gotten my mother in law to start using Google Docs to document her recipes electronically - she didn't want the disappearing. That way all her recipes can be shared with all 6 of her kids and whoever else she wanted...