Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 19, 2019   #301
killab
Tomatovillian™

Got the package today,what an awesome variety of beans!!!

thanks again
killab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2019   #302
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

How do you get into the bean part of this for next year. Do you have to donate beans?
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2019   #303
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
How do you get into the bean part of this for next year. Do you have to donate beans?

Not necessary with beans, but donations (grow outs of received seed )are needed to keep a good swap supply. Tomato seeds are much easier to save in quantity.

Is there anything in particular, type or specific variety, that you're looking for?
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2019   #304
BettyC-5
Tomatovillian™

I received the package of bean seeds last week.
Thank you
BettyC-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019   #305
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Not necessary with beans, but donations (grow outs of received seed )are needed to keep a good swap supply. Tomato seeds are much easier to save in quantity.

Is there anything in particular, type or specific variety, that you're looking for?

No, next year I would like to try a few varieties. Sometimes I have problems saving seeds for bean . When the pods get completely dry, the seeds look moldy, small and
a little pitted. I will see how my rattlesnake beans come out when I save those seeds this summer. I’m sure you don’t need rattlesnake though. I am also going to be growing a winged bean, hopefully I can save seeds to that one.
Old April 24, 2019   #306
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

If you save up dry seed for eating, please find out about mold on beans. It's toxic.

I trialed winged beans once. Plants produced nothing. There are supposedly two types being sold, each having much different daylight requirements to produce pods. I don't know if I received the correct one for my climate. Also, the instructions I received for mine said not to use ANY nitrogen, or I'd get all leaves and no pods. So, no nitrogen, the plants were not robust, and again no pods. I wish you luck with yours plants.

Last edited by Tormato; April 24, 2019 at 04:41 PM.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2019   #307
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
If you save up dry seed for eating, please find out about mold on beans. It's toxic.

I trialed winged beans once. Plants produced nothing. There are supposedly two types being sold, each having much different daylight requirements to produce pods. I don't know if I received the correct one for my climate. Also, the instructions I received for mine said not to use ANY nitrogen, or I'd get all leaves and no pods. So, no nitrogen, the plants were not robust, and again no pods. I wish you luck with yours plants.

Thanks for the tips.