Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old July 22, 2012   #16
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

yeah i know chicken droppings are brutal!

the funny thing is yesterday i was at blue seal and they have chicky do do outside. i smelled the plastic bag and i could smell it but it wasn't real bad. i wonder once opened how strong it is?

would mice get into this? i could store it in the shed but mice are all over the place in there. from around december 20 for about 3 weeks i trapped about 45 mice before i cleaned them out. i started to set the traps again in the spring and got 21 more, total was 66... yeah i was counting! i just don't want mice eating it or burrowing into it all winter.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2012   #17
janezee
Tomatovillian™

OMG, that's a lot of mice! Ewwwww!

I buy galvanized trash cans for things that I don't want the mice in. Bird seed started me on it, since the mice and rats and whatever have no problem gnawing through the plastic cans.

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2012   #18
Tom Atillo
Tomatovillian™

I scored 40 bags of extremely pungent and damp chicken duty from a local store. Reg pricewas $4.00 a bag but I negotiated a $1.00 a bag price if I"took them all".

The bags were filled wet and had perforations (I suppose to help them dry?) To keep the peace with the neighbors I Covered them with a plastic tarp and piled dirt around the perimeter. This worked well to control the smell. I let them sit for 1 year.........when I opened the tarp one year later........the smell was just as bad. Now I just buy pelletized granular chicken poo.....Perfect Blend is the name and it works well with low smell until it gets wet. Apply before rain and it will dissipate!
Tom Atillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2012   #19
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I buy composted and pelleted chicken manure for my greenhouse and high tunnel plants and YES it does STINK. Just like chicken manure. I pulled chickens and worked for a local farmer gathering eggs as a kid and today as I was using it I was remembering it smelled just like when I was gathering eggs in a house that had not been cleaned on time.... UGH! Do not keep it in your house. It will stink it up to high heaven! I sincerely don't think mice would burrow into it, it smells awful and is very dusty.