Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 11, 2017   #1
c053271
Tomatovillian™

Default question about hardening off

I am beginning my new tomato season down here in PR. After all the destruction hurricane Maria brought to my small garden i am trying to rebuild it. I am in the stage of hardening off my new seedlings. Should i bring the seedlings indoors in rainy days? I am afraid heavy rain will damage them. But in the other hand they need to be "hardening off" right? They are in small nurse pots. I will plant Big Beef,Black Russian Krim and Super Sweet 100. Any advice with this varieties will be appreciated. thanks
c053271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Could you leave them outside, but under a table or under the eaves of the house to protect them from heavy rain? If not, you probably should bring them inside.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I agree that you need to cover them from direct sun and heavy rain. They are like babies. They need to learn to handle the extremes of sun and weather. Gradually, over at least over a two week period, increase their "full sun" time. I keep mine in shade for about a week and then give them some direct sun.

Over watering and heavy rain are stressful conditions for large mature plants. Burning sun can overdrive the tender leaves and dry them out. Seedlings should be treated like "babies" until they are ready for planting out.

The American citizens of Puerto Rico are in the thoughts and prayers of this family. May God bless and keep you safe during your rebuilding endeavors.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017   #4
c053271
Tomatovillian™

thanks
Old November 11, 2017   #5
c053271
Tomatovillian™

thanks. we are grateful for all the american help during this disaster
Old November 11, 2017   #6
oakley
Tomatovillian™

You are not forgotten. So sorry for all the suffering. My sister has been there for the past month back and forth. Getting patients flown out that have health needs
that cannot be met with lack of power and potable water.

On the new daily here in NYC.

Like mentioned above, we all often need to harden off under the protection of
shade or best an outdoor table. Spring storms with hail can be the death of young
plants. Protected from strong winds. Bright outdoor light, even shaded, is great for the little fellas.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

All good advice, just give them a little shelter. Even here in the north, a little top shelter to protect from rain and cold but allow some sun and air circulation, is perfect for hardening off.

My gosh you folks got pounded this season. We were afraid for everyone and really on the edge of our seats one hurricane after another. And so sorry to see the horrifying damage and hear how difficult it will be to rebuild and even restore basic infrastructure and services. I'm so glad to hear you are rebuilding your garden, and I hope you have a really fruitful season now. Please let us know if you need any seeds, people on this forum grow everything not only tomatoes.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017   #8
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

How big are they?

Plants are surprisingly tough. A heavy rain may knock them down, but they just get up again. Over 6-8" I wouldn't worry much about rain. Still, it doesn't hurt to protect them.

You know about acclimating to sunlight, right? Here on the plains we find wind as much of a threat. Does PR get much wind (aside from hurricanes)?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2017   #9
c053271
Tomatovillian™

thanks and many thanks to your sister too^^
Old November 12, 2017   #10
c053271
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I am good with seeds. The advice i receive on this forum is reward enough
Old November 12, 2017   #11
c053271
Tomatovillian™

we dont get much wind normally. Btw i hope hurricane Maria strong winds finished my spider mites problems. thanks