Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 5, 2014   #16
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

If you enjoy dill as much as we do, take about half of the stand right before seed heads form and pull up by the roots, bundle the base of the stalks together and hang upside down in a shed or garage to dry during the summer heat and crumble into a storage jar for a years supply. Let the other half form seed heads and do the same with them to have a good dill seed supply all winter. It allows me to plant one crop each year.
Old February 6, 2014   #17
RonnyWil
Tomatovillian™

Dill doesn't like much fertilizer so don't over do it. Watch out for Swallowtail Butterfly caterpillars. They will strip it in no time. I caught 6 on a plant once.
Old February 6, 2014   #18
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnyWil View Post
Dill doesn't like much fertilizer so don't over do it. Watch out for Swallowtail Butterfly caterpillars. They will strip it in no time. I caught 6 on a plant once.
My dill died last spring. It had been growing here for 12 plus years. It was planted by the prior owner. It was everywhere! Loved mowing the lawn b/c I would hit a dill plant and yum! smell would hit. And as much as I enjoyed the dill, the swallowtails loved it more. And I am not sure which I miss more, the dill or the swallowtails.

Thought I had saved seeds, but remember giving those to my mom to plant.
Nattybo! is offline   Reply With Quote